Thread: kali linux 2017.1 boot menu beep

kali linux 2017.1 boot menu beep

Hello guys, anyone knows how to disable the boot menu beep? I tried deleting the famous "^G" manually and with an hex editor. "^G" is gone but the menu stills beeping. I dont know what to do, i spent all day trying different ways without success.

Please help

I think you are talking about 2 beep sound when you boot bootable kali USB. That sound is handled by kali boot setup. You have to make changes in the kali image to remove the boot sound.

you mean the iso right? i tried to open the iso with a hexeditor and deleting the "^G" but still not success. what can i do?

Quote Originally Posted by Eisenberk View Post
    you mean the iso right? i tried to open the iso with a hexeditor and deleting the "^G" but still not success. what can i do?
    There is no need to extract iso image with hex editor. Just mount it. It is already on your bootable USB. Look for a file that causes beep.

This can also depend on UEFI vs BIOS

For BIOS you can use the following PERL script on the ISO file itself and it will take care of any place ^G exists in the iso:

perl -p -i -e 's;\x6d\x65\x6e\x75\x07;\x6d\x65\x6e\x75\x20;g' your-kali.iso

The beep was added for accessibility to the UEFI boot menu as well so you may still get the beep. To remove that you must edit grub.cfg and comment out or remove the following two lines:

insmode play
    play 960 440 1 0 4 440 1

I used live build to make the changes to grub.cfg, generated the iso, and then ran the perl script prior to flashing to the usb. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by zer0trip View Post

The beep was added for accessibility to the UEFI boot menu as well so you may still get the beep. To remove that you must edit grub.cfg and comment out or remove the following two lines:

insmode play
    play 960 440 1 0 4 440 1
    I figured the above out, but have been having a problem using the editing grub.cfg with the live USB.
    My Dell XPS15 does not like the latest 2017.2 (boot loop) so I have been using 2017.1 Live USB.

Referring to "I used live build to make the changes to grub.cfg, generated the iso, and then ran the perl script prior to flashing to the usb. Hope this helps!"

I have tried several ways to make a slightly modified ISO using 2017.1 (revised grub.cfg) but I am not able to fully reproduce the ISO so that it is properly installed on the USB.

I follow the "Kali Linux Live USB Persistence" instructions to create the USB.
    https://docs.kali.org/downloading/ka...sb-persistence

Whenever I modify the ISO (extract or mount ISO, make the changes, recreate ISO) and use the above instructions, the USB is not recognized as bootable. It is not partitioned the way the original files does. I even changed the fold md5 to the grub.cfg.

Can you pass us (me) some instruction to recreate the ISO or modify the Read-Only File System on the existing USB drive when booted into Kali? I am not a beginner but am stumped here.

Thanks in advance,
    Uber Geek Dude

UPDATE: Can't mount a read only files system, can't umount because the USB is busy.
    Last edited by maiki; 2017-10-26 at 09:24. Reason: Merge posts

OK! I figured it out.

The instructions noted above refers to https://docs.kali.org/downloading/ka...ve-usb-install
    which uses Win32 Disk Imager which creates the USB with a Read Only Partition on the USB drive.

I used Rufus this time and the USB is now free to edit. I was able to edit the grub.cfg in Windows and the USB boots just how I wanted.

All is good!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by UberGeekDude View Post
    OK! I figured it out.

The instructions noted above refers to https://docs.kali.org/downloading/ka...ve-usb-install
    which uses Win32 Disk Imager which creates the USB with a Read Only Partition on the USB drive.

I used Rufus this time and the USB is now free to edit. I was able to edit the grub.cfg in Windows and the USB boots just how I wanted.

All is good!
    An update with this process. After using Rufus to create the Kali Live USB with persistence I realized there is only one partition created. The persistence did not restore my settings or files in the 'root' directory. I can edit the Kali files including grub.cfg under the /lib/live/... directory (/dev/sda1 mount point) but the persistence part didn't restore settings. The partitions were weird too. One partition (/dev/sda1) was the entire USB and the second (/dev/loop0) is the live image.

Solution:
    I created a 2nd USB and booted to that and used Gparted to resize the original USB partitions. First, I resized to USB drive to 4GB (Image is 2.6GB, I think). Then I created a 2nd partition of type ext4 and labeled it 'persistence' and then used the persistence instructions accordingly.

I noticed the persistence retains all my changes under the rw directory in the persistence partition. The persistence process also creates a work directory that you can "work" in and all that data will be retained. But, you can also work in the 'root' directory which is duplicated from the persistence partition under rw directory, I believe.

I am not exactly sure how persistence works in kali but if you work in your root directory, and these files are copies to/from your persistence location, I can imagine that process will delay your boot time. I suggest using the persistence partition work directory for all your work just in case.

UGD.

I've experienced this issue twice. A long beep that never stops. It happens when I try to change users by logging off. After deleting the account I created and using root as the main user, it stopped.

I've always hated that beep -_-, on my previous laptop it was SO LOUD! Ridiculous... Like, it could wake a whole household.....WHY??!!! Now with my new laptop I feel like my speakers will rip or explode. There's no beep just 2x very loud click sounds.

It's 2017, we can tell when the ISO has loaded.... is the sound really all that important? If it is, why is it not an option in the menu that the user can trigger that says "Play beep sound" ?