Thread: kali linux 2017.1 boot menu beep

kali linux 2017.1 boot menu beep

Hello guys, anyone knows how to disable the boot menu beep? I tried deleting the famous "^G" manually and with an hex editor. "^G" is gone but the menu stills beeping. I dont know what to do, i spent all day trying different ways without success.

Please help

I think you are talking about 2 beep sound when you boot bootable kali USB. That sound is handled by kali boot setup. You have to make changes in the kali image to remove the boot sound.

you mean the iso right? i tried to open the iso with a hexeditor and deleting the "^G" but still not success. what can i do?

Quote Originally Posted by Eisenberk View Post
    you mean the iso right? i tried to open the iso with a hexeditor and deleting the "^G" but still not success. what can i do?
    There is no need to extract iso image with hex editor. Just mount it. It is already on your bootable USB. Look for a file that causes beep.

This can also depend on UEFI vs BIOS

For BIOS you can use the following PERL script on the ISO file itself and it will take care of any place ^G exists in the iso:

perl -p -i -e 's;\x6d\x65\x6e\x75\x07;\x6d\x65\x6e\x75\x20;g' your-kali.iso

The beep was added for accessibility to the UEFI boot menu as well so you may still get the beep. To remove that you must edit grub.cfg and comment out or remove the following two lines:

insmode play
    play 960 440 1 0 4 440 1

I used live build to make the changes to grub.cfg, generated the iso, and then ran the perl script prior to flashing to the usb. Hope this helps!