Thread: No interface for external usb wireless adapter TE7T4UV2 with chipset RTL8812AU

No interface for external usb wireless adapter TE7T4UV2 with chipset RTL8812AU

Hi, I am new to Kali and I am using TP-LINK Archer T4U v2 - AC1300, TE7T4UV2 with chipset RTL8812AU. Kali is in Virtual Box VM, the host OS is using Windows Server 2016.

The release for 2017 Kali mentioned about of RTL8812AU chipset. https://www.kali.org/news/kali-linux-20171-release/

However the adapter not show up as interface in iwconfig / ifconfig. I have tried using install the RTL8812AU driver using the following commands:
    Code:
    apt-get update
    apt install realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms
    But still not show wlan in iwconfig.

The lsusb command did show my adapter, ID:2357:010D, however the no description information after the ID, does this mean the adapter is not recognized?

I have also create USB filter in Virtual Box setting.

I did some research about RTL8812AU driver on Kali, mostly is about Alfa adapter such as AWUS036ACH.

Is it true that the RTL8812AU driver only support for specific adapters like the Alfa? Or all the adapter with the RTL8812AU chipset is supported in Kali?

Do I need to install the wireless adapter driver on host machine (Windows)? Because some said need to remove the driver from host, I have tried install and uninstall the driver in host, both also not working that wlan is not show up in iwconfig.

Would this problem easier to solve if I install Kali in host directly?

Thank you very much.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by asdzxc; 2017-08-27 at 10:38.

The ID might not be in the driver.

Each driver has a list IDs it supports and it will be loaded if the ID matches what it has.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_X View Post
    The ID might not be in the driver.

Each driver has a list IDs it supports and it will be loaded if the ID matches what it has.
    Hi Mister_X, are you talking something like the solution in the following link which add the the ID manually in the code?
    https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...300-on-mint-17

Do you think I can manually add the ID in the Kali code? Or you means if the adapter ID is not in the list, the adapter will not be supported even I add the ID manually?
    If I can add the ID manually, where I could go and modified the file in order to add the ID, is the following link is the official Kali Repo?

Sorry to ask too many questions, thank you.