Thread: Installing Kali-Linux on HP Pavilion 13 Notebook

Exclamation Installing Kali-Linux on HP Pavilion 13 Notebook

Hi to all.
    I had been trying to install kali-linux using kali-linux-2017.1-amd64.iso (which has been downloaded and hash-verified), on my windows 10 notebook. I followed the process described in the docs.kali site as to preparing the USB stick with win32disk imager and tried to run (1) kali live, (2) graphical install and (3) text install from the USB stick, but had been un-suceccessful in all three ways. I tried changing the settings in BIOS by disabling secure boot and enabling legacy mode. When legacy boot mode is on, the boot options screen showed the USB stick in plain boot and UEFI mode. When I chose USB with UEFI, the initial spalsh screen of kali linux appears with all options but when Live boot option is clicked, a blank black terminal screen appears above splash screen and it doesn't progress beyond that. When plain USB booting is chosen, again the initial kali linux screen with all options appears, and when live booting is selected, it proceeds a little in the terminal window and stops at "PCI" devices information and the installation doesn't progress from there. When Graphical Install or Text Install was chosen, a blank black screen appears and doesn't progress from there.

I searched google, which showed links to some threads in this forum which had not been helpful in my case. The search results also showed some youtube videos, one of which was posted as recently as June 2017. I watched and followed the procedure in the video, to no avail. I searched HP forums, where I found a thread, where it was mentioned that HP does not support Linux and that not only kali linux but none of the linux distros can be installed on HP pcs. The guy who posted in the HP forums described his experience of trying to install Ubuntu, Redhat, Debian, Mint etc., and his description of the progress matches what I had described above.

So is there no way of installing kali linux on HP Notebooks? If somebody can throw light on the above and give a solution, I would be grateful.

The way the install is behaving, feels like a video problem. Do you have info on the video card?

I don't own this notebook myself, but I'd try searching for that specific video card and/or chipset, and see if you can find further info.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried to get information as to the display card etc. The details shown by System Information app are (1) display: Intel Graphics 5500;
    (2) Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @2.20GHz 2201 MHz 2 Cores 4 Logical processors;
    (3) Bios version: Insyde F.36 3/16/217

Hmm, since Kali is Debian-based, you might be able to use the jessie-backports (at https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/) to get things going.

To do this, you'd have to customize a Kali ISO, and add the appropriate drivers. I've not rolled my own Kali ISO, so I couldn't tell you how difficult this is. However, the documentation at docs.kali.org and kali.training is extensive.

I have tried graphical install, text install and live booting of Kali Linux amd64 2016.1, 2016.2, 2017.1 ISO. Only live booting shows some progress and always at "pci 0000:00:14.0 System wake up disabled by ACPI".

I think the has to do with the USB device being turned off & not being enabled again. Have no idea how to change this hardware setting in the hp notebook.

Looking for an answer.

I'd try posting over at bugs.kali.org and see if the devs can help you out. Unfortunately, I'm stumped

Thank you. I will await a reply. Meanwhile I am trying to other distros like parrot & see whether I encounter the same problem.