Thread: Kali linux installed as guest os on vmware / Problem with resize screen

Kali linux installed as guest os on vmware / Problem with resize screen

Dear Team ,

I need your help ,

I have installed kali linux 2017.1 on wmware 12 workstation . After full upgrade kali linux i have problem with wmware tools , does not work resizing screen (window).

System info
    Kali linux : linux-headers-4.11.0-kali1-amd64 is already the newest version (4.11.6-1kali1).

Vmware tools : vmware-toolbox-cmd -v -> 10.1.10.63510 (build-6082533)

Please help me .
    Thank you in advance .
    Last edited by athanasmb; 2017-08-20 at 15:20.

There is no solution for the moment, we must wait for it to be repaired, I also have the same problem

Captura de pantalla (9).jpg

Bump - I have same problem after today's Kali update. I got 800x600 resolution only.

Thank you for your answer !! #trubul #Gearcapitan

Guys, I see that bug was already reported here - https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=4159
    It's connected with change from GNOME Xorg to Wayland after last updates.

Quick workaround-fix as @cnn wrote in link above: add WaylandEnable=false in [daemon] section of /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf
    More detailed info is in link.

Respect #Trubul for your answer .... problem fixed !!!!!!

So today's update for open-vm-tools-desktop breaks is again!

Per yesterdays comments by rhertzog on the bug tracker - "And today you get open-vm-tools 10.1.10-1kali3 which completely fixes this issue. I'm closing the ticket."

I did notice the same thing as flex, that this update seems to break it again. I figured my previous addition of "WaylandEnable=false" was unexpected and causing a problem, so I removed this and did "apt install --reinstall open-vm-tools". Everything seemed to work again until the next reboot. However, upon rebooting, I once again experienced resolution issues. apt reinstall fixes it, reboot causes it to return...

Given this, it seems like it's not actually the reinstall fixing it, just that the reinstall is restarting services. So I rebooted and ran "service open-vm-tools restart" and boom! resolution is fine.

I think there's still a small problem somewhere, but maybe I just have a weird configuration issue. Someone let me know if this works for them as well, and if anyone finds a more permanent solution.

-BBK

Everything is working again for me after I installed the latest updates (This includes open-vm-tools-desktop:amd64 2:10.1.10-1kali3) and with the "WaylandEnable=false" option in the "/etc/gdm3/daemon.conf" file.

I had to comment out the "WaylandEnable=false" yesterday to get a usable desktop but today's update fixed a the problem to some extent.