Thread: two disks with same uuid and setroot

two disks with same uuid and setroot

Greetings all.

/dev/sdb is fedora 26 xfce, /dev/sda is kali 2017.1.xfce. Installed kali yesterday and both os's booted fine. Created user in kali and then ran update/upgrade as the new user. Rebooted and now kali either drops to grub> or initramfs. So I reinstalled kali three times and created no user this time and it still drops out so I did some checking and found that uuid is the same for both disks and so is setroot=whatever. Fedora still boots fine but kali is having these problems. Any suggestions? I can post what is needed for the most part but I'm stuck after trying so much and being fairly new to the awesome world of linux just dont know how to proceed. I could edit grub.cfg but I will loose it when fedora gets new kernel so I am looking for something that will really fix it. I dont mind blowing kali away again but I cannot loose fedora if at all possible as she is heavily configured and running sweet. I want to play with Kali on my network.

Im using old pc with bios and not efi. Tried setting boot disk to drive kali is on and when booting I get cursor that blinks but nothing else. Set disk back to the disk that will boot fedora and she fires fedora up but choosing kali in grub does as explained above. It is possible not to install bootloader when installing kali? If not should I have it install to /dev/sdb running fedora or /dev/sda runing kali or perhaps it does not even matter. Could the hard drive that is running kali be dead since it wont boot but flashing cursor when changing to that disk in settings? Any chance installing an older versions of kali and then upgrading to current version?

Having a blast but getting a little frustrated at myself. Any suggestions folks?

thanks all

Found this a few minutes ago

[f2600@fedora ~]$ grubby --info /boot/vmlinuz-4.9.0-kali3-amd64
    grubby: kernel not found

Ok the issue with the drives having the same uuid is fixed, however in grub.cfg set root = is pointing to (hd0,msdos1) for both disks and kali is on (hd1,msdos1). is there a way to fix this that will survive when fedora gets a new kernel?