Thread: Replacing Wicd with network-manager in LXDE

Replacing Wicd with network-manager in LXDE

I have the latest Kali 2017.1 installed and upgraded on my Acer Aspire One laptop, with LXDE. No dual-boot or anything like that, everything works great basically.

Every other DE that comes with Kali seems to use network-manager/nm-applet for managing connections, except for LXDE which is using Wicd. Since a lot of tools out there will specifically send commands at network-manager (restarting it, etc.) in particular as opposed to Wicd, I'm wanting to replace one with the other. Also I like the extra features it has, like managing VPN connections, etcetera.

Problem is, there doesn't seem to be an applet available for it. I've disabled Wicd and installed network-manager, and once I start it as a service, I do have a connection, but I can't seem to add an applet for it, and also when I go into default lxsession and services settings, nothing related to network-manager is anywhere to be found. No packages such as nm-applet or anything are found with apt, so I'm kind of at a loss what to do. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Okay, I feel kinda stupid now, but I managed to fix it myself. I hadn't installed the network-manager-gnome package as well the first time around...

I had to change in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf:
    [ifupdown]
    managed=false --> to true,
    then manually added the wifi connection settings (SSID, BSSID, etc.) in the applet, then reboot, and now it works great.

Sorry for the bogus thread, maybe this will help somebody in the future with the same problem.