Thread: Alfa AWUS036ACH on kali 2017.1 monitor mode issue

Alfa AWUS036ACH on kali 2017.1 monitor mode issue

Hi All,
    i have a problem with my new AWUS036ACH on kali 2017.1 when I try the monitor mode.
    I have kali as a virtualbox VM and I installed the AWUS036ACH driver with apt install realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms.
    Everything works, I can see the WIFI networks around me, but when I execute the comand "airmon-ng start wlan0" I have this error:

Code:
    root@kali:~# airmon-ng check kill

Killing these processes:

PID Name
      614 wpa_supplicant
      615 dhclient

root@kali:~# airmon-ng start wlan0

PHY	Interface	Driver		Chipset

phy0	wlan0		8812au		Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8812AU 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WLAN Adapter
    cat: /sys/class/ieee80211/phy0/device/net/wlan0mon/type: No such file or directory

Newly created monitor mode interface wlan0mon is *NOT* in monitor mode.
    Removing non-monitor wlan0mon interface...

WARNING: unable to start monitor mode, please run "airmon-ng check kill"
    what is wrong? did I miss something?

Is there someone who can help me?
    Thanks a lot!

Have you tried,
    ifconfig wlan0 down
    iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor
    ifconfig wlan0 up

hi undersc0re,

I've unplug and plug the NIC in another USB port, follow your commands and it works! thanks.
    one strange thing, after airmon-ng check kill command, I can't see AC Networks.

Have you checked dmesg? Try running airmon-ng only as soon as you can after restart just to report your interfaces available for airmon... I used to get a non-mac80211 device error within airmon-ng. Also, might I ask what device you have kali installed on? Is it a RasPi, VM, or SD card??? I ask because I use a raspberry pi because of it's portability. I have noticed in the past that if I set my wireless card (in my case and AWUS052NH rt2800) to close to an AP, which is just a couple feet away for my testing, that is seems to quit working within a minute of boot up. As if it has become overpowered in a way by my router. If I move it further away, it works like a daisy. Again, this is only in my situation and what I have observed. It might be something worth looking into and testing. I can imagine situations will be different if using kali on another machine.

/sys/class/ieee80211/phy0/device/net/wlan0mon/type

hi I have the same error.
    The only way to make it work is to run the monitor mode using the following command

sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

i still search for the solution. If I found, i ll let you know
    I think I have also an error using the Fern wifi cracker. system cannot launch the monitor mode.

Quote Originally Posted by superbosu View Post
    Hi All,
    i have a problem with my new AWUS036ACH on kali 2017.1 when I try the monitor mode.
    I have kali as a virtualbox VM and I installed the AWUS036ACH driver with apt install realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms.
    Everything works, I can see the WIFI networks around me, but when I execute the comand "airmon-ng start wlan0" I have this error:

Code:

Killing these processes:

PID Name
      614 wpa_supplicant
      615 dhclient

root@kali:~# airmon-ng start wlan0

PHY	Interface	Driver		Chipset

phy0	wlan0		8812au		Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8812AU 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WLAN Adapter
    cat: /sys/class/ieee80211/phy0/device/net/wlan0mon/type: No such file or directory

Newly created monitor mode interface wlan0mon is *NOT* in monitor mode.
    Removing non-monitor wlan0mon interface...

WARNING: unable to start monitor mode, please run "airmon-ng check kill"
    what is wrong? did I miss something?

Is there someone who can help me?
    Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Syndistik View Post
    Have you checked dmesg? Try running airmon-ng only as soon as you can after restart just to report your interfaces available for airmon... I used to get a non-mac80211 device error within airmon-ng. Also, might I ask what device you have kali installed on? Is it a RasPi, VM, or SD card??? I ask because I use a raspberry pi because of it's portability. I have noticed in the past that if I set my wireless card (in my case and AWUS052NH rt2800) to close to an AP, which is just a couple feet away for my testing, that is seems to quit working within a minute of boot up. As if it has become overpowered in a way by my router. If I move it further away, it works like a daisy. Again, this is only in my situation and what I have observed. It might be something worth looking into and testing. I can imagine situations will be different if using kali on another machine.
    One of my favorite adapters! Nice choice! I notice the same thing even with my cell phone near the computer/adapter or if the AP is on the table.

One thing with the that newer ac adapter or somewhat newer is that the drivers in my use comparably do not seem to pick up networks as well as the adapters that have been around working well for a while now. Could be the frequency is much faster but not as good in terms of distance?