Thread: Kernel / Headers mismatch

Kernel / Headers mismatch

After Downloading Kali-Live-kde yesterday, and setting up persistence, I have found that I cannot install the realtek-rtl-88xxau-dkms package: on investigating, I found that Kali is running the 4.9 kernel (4.9.0?) but has only headers for 4.12 (4.12.0-kali1 ?) installed.
    Attempting to upgrade the kernel to 4.12, the live-initramfs-update fails with an error message telling me that the kali-live partition is not mounted in the correct place (although persistence is working fine).
    Anyone have a workaround for this, or does anyone know if an image with the correct kernel & headers is being built?
    Thanks,
    Peter.
    Not wanting to be impatient -just some additional thoughts...
    Surely someone else has run into this issue? Maybe someone could confirm whether other Kali (2017.1) live iso's have the same problem, or not?
    Alternatively, searches appear to indicate that this is not an uncommon issue with Kali (and presumably other) live iso images over the years; can anyone give me an idea of how long I might be looking at before this instance is fixed? I do understand that this could depend on a lot of things, but maybe someone could tell me whether they think this type of problem is likely to be taken very seriously (and what this might mean if it is)?
    In the meantime.... as an alternative to upgrading the kernel, i considered installing the headers for the running kernel ...but they are no longer available. Is there an "old packages" repository which I can use?
    Or, preferrably, having built the needed (4.12) vmlinuz and initramfs images on my non-live, hard-drive installed kali computer, is there a way to copy these images to the kali live partition on my usb drive (sdX1) or to get them working from the kali persistence partition (sdX3)? I have tried, but sdX1 is write protected (and I'm not sure you can actually write in this way to what is, in effect, an iso image)? And sdX3 is for persistence, not for booting from.
    Thoughts?
    (Cheers)
    Last edited by ptpi; 2017-08-28 at 12:22. Reason: addendum

I spent many hours with my persistence usb stick with the same issue, I ended up just re-doing my stick from scratch with the latest weekly image(done in 30 min lol)and then everything went smooth for me after that, never had this issue on the regular hard drive install for some reason. Sry I don't have an actual fix, just thought I would share my fix, if you could call it that.

Try doing persistence with the weekly ISO (First link in google, something with cdimage in the url I think).

Thanks, both of you. I think the weekly iso is probably the easiest option (when I have some more data to download it). But I do love actually fixing things ...it's how I've gained most of the computing knowledge I have (as with most of us I guess). One question, Undersc0re, do you know if your persistent usb from 'weekly' can update kernels? Like, does the live-update-initramfs work? Or have you not had the need to find out?
    Cheers.

All I can say is twice now I have had to just update to the latest weekly iso to get my usb live persistence stick to work with that issue, maybe I am missing something along the way but I find it quick now that I know what I am doing to just re-do my usb stick, the usb stick is a good quick read and write memory! Makes things much quicker.

Yeah, sounds easy enough, but all I have at the moment is a dodgy wi-fi connection and the download keeps stalling. kget seems stuck at 53% for the last few hours.... might have to start again. Again. Thanks though.