Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Monitor Mode Problem HELP!

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by r0b0 View Post
    yes i tried again but same result unfortunately
    Can you show the output again? This time type commands correctly.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by r0b0 View Post
    yes i tried again but same result unfortunately
    This is not correct. The v2.0 chipset fully supports monitor mode. It does require installing some drivers that enable support.

    https://github.com/mfruba/kernel

    I followed the instructions (all three lines) and monitor mode works perfectly on my TL-WN722N v2.0 with the Realtek RTL8188EUS chipset.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by qmech View Post
    This is not correct. The v2.0 chipset fully supports monitor mode. It does require installing some drivers that enable support.

    https://github.com/mfruba/kernel

    I followed the instructions (all three lines) and monitor mode works perfectly on my TL-WN722N v2.0 with the Realtek RTL8188EUS chipset.
    Kali Live encrypted persistence. It remembers my packages, not sure about the kernels.

    I bought the same device (V2, apparently. When trying to "make" the drivers according to the referenced site, all I get is this:

    Code:
    root@kali:~/Desktop/kernel/drivers/TL-WN722N_v2.0-Ralink/rtl8188EUS_linux_v4.3.0.8_13968.20150417# make
    "******************************************"
    "NO SKRC,we will use default KSRC"
    "******************************************"
    make ARCH=x86_64 CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/4.12.0-kali1-amd64/build M=/root/Desktop/kernel/drivers/TL-WN722N_v2.0-Ralink/rtl8188EUS_linux_v4.3.0.8_13968.20150417  modules
    make[1]: *** /lib/modules/4.12.0-kali1-amd64/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
    Makefile:1368: recipe for target 'modules' failed
    make: *** [modules] Error 2
    I have run all update commands

    Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get -y upgrade
    apt-get -y dist-upgrade
    and it swears up and down that 4.12.0-kali2-amd64 is installed, but it won't boot it.

    Code:
    uname -r
    still shows
    Code:
    4.12.0-kali1-amd64
    and won't budge.

    So I guess the first step for me is to get Kali to boot the most recent kernel so the makefile knows where to go. But I don't know how to do this, and there doesn't appear to be an update-grub or anything. Or maybe I just misunderstand the whole shebang.

    So what do I do now?

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Bl4ck_P4l4d1n View Post
    Kali Live encrypted persistence. It remembers my packages, not sure about the kernels.

    I bought the same device (V2, apparently. When trying to "make" the drivers according to the referenced site, all I get is this:

    Code:
    root@kali:~/Desktop/kernel/drivers/TL-WN722N_v2.0-Ralink/rtl8188EUS_linux_v4.3.0.8_13968.20150417# make
    "******************************************"
    "NO SKRC,we will use default KSRC"
    "******************************************"
    make ARCH=x86_64 CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/4.12.0-kali1-amd64/build M=/root/Desktop/kernel/drivers/TL-WN722N_v2.0-Ralink/rtl8188EUS_linux_v4.3.0.8_13968.20150417  modules
    make[1]: *** /lib/modules/4.12.0-kali1-amd64/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
    Makefile:1368: recipe for target 'modules' failed
    make: *** [modules] Error 2
    I have run all update commands

    Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get -y upgrade
    apt-get -y dist-upgrade
    and it swears up and down that 4.12.0-kali2-amd64 is installed, but it won't boot it.

    Code:
    uname -r
    still shows
    Code:
    4.12.0-kali1-amd64
    and won't budge.

    So I guess the first step for me is to get Kali to boot the most recent kernel so the makefile knows where to go. But I don't know how to do this, and there doesn't appear to be an update-grub or anything. Or maybe I just misunderstand the whole shebang.

    So what do I do now?
    Ifconfig wlan0 down
    Iwconfig wlan0 mode moniter
    Ifconfig wlan0 up

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbiz View Post
    Ifconfig wlan0 down
    Iwconfig wlan0 mode moniter
    Ifconfig wlan0 up
    Since my last response, I also created a new VM full install to VDI) and ran only the update commands

    Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt dist-upgrade
    And then tried to make again:

    Code:
    oot@kali:~/Desktop/kernel/drivers/TL-WN722N_v2.0-Ralink/rtl8188EUS_linux_v4.3.0.8_13968.20150417# make
    "******************************************"
    "NO SKRC,we will use default KSRC"
    "******************************************"
    make ARCH=x86_64 CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/4.12.0-kali2-amd64/build M=/root/Desktop/kernel/drivers/TL-WN722N_v2.0-Ralink/rtl8188EUS_linux_v4.3.0.8_13968.20150417  modules
    make[1]: *** /lib/modules/4.12.0-kali2-amd64/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
    Makefile:1368: recipe for target 'modules' failed
    make: *** [modules] Error 2
    Response from above commands afterward:

    Code:
    root@kali:~# ifconfig wlan0 down
    root@kali:~# iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor
    Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
        SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
    root@kali:~# ifconfig wlan0 up
    So no dice.

    In case I haven't said, thanks for the way you guys keep trying. There's got to be a way.

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    6
    OK, I've been talking with the guy who posted that video on getting it working. He says that the distro he used was 2017-1, NOT 2017-2. I'm in the process of getting the 2017-1 ISO now, but it's slow going as it looks like the official, verified torrent is gone and I have to use a direct link. Just in case someone can help me speed this up, or for future reference, is there anywhere to get the previous, official torrents for such times as these?

    And this sure is a lousy way to try to save $15, assuming the V1 TL-WN722N is still even available.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by Bl4ck_P4l4d1n View Post
    OK, I've been talking with the guy who posted that video on getting it working. He says that the distro he used was 2017-1, NOT 2017-2. I'm in the process of getting the 2017-1 ISO now, but it's slow going as it looks like the official, verified torrent is gone and I have to use a direct link. Just in case someone can help me speed this up, or for future reference, is there anywhere to get the previous, official torrents for such times as these?

    And this sure is a lousy way to try to save $15, assuming the V1 TL-WN722N is still even available.
    Nothing has much changed in 2017.2 except the kernel version. Ask that person what binaries did he install before compiling the driver from its source.

    Have you installed linux-headers? sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    39
    When I use my usb adapter, my interface for the adapter is usually wlan1. Where my internal wifi chip is always wlan0. Try
    ifconfig wlan1 down
    Iwconfig wlan1 mode moniter
    Ifconfig wlan1 up
    If you didnt get an interface wlan1 under
    the command airmon-ng. Try rfkill to see if anything is locking up your interface. Rfkill wlan1 or something like that, rfkill -h will give you better info.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •