Thread: Solving Kernel Panic on HP Probook 450G2

Kernel Panic on HP Probook 450G2 possible amdgpu issue

Hello,

I have been running an HP Probook 450G2 for about 2 years now with Kali 1, Kali 2 and Windows. Kali 2 is the primary system and has been faultless up until recently when booting up and shutting down I will intermittantly get kernel panic. To get out I have to use the power button, the laptop will boot into Windows and Kali 1. I think it is an amdgpu issue, although I can mount the K2 root I cannot get a journalctl log from K1, I am sure there is way to mount it and do this. I have also tried using advanced options on the grub menu and booting the previous kernel and I have also tried "no modeset" from the Grub 2 menu. The only way I can restart the into K2 after this happens is use a Ubuntu live disk that also crashes with the same problem and then after shutting down from that K2 usually restarts.

## Please consider this closed I have reinstalled the kde version ##
    Last edited by OzTornado; 2017-09-08 at 07:07. Reason: more information and clarity I hope

Greetings,
    I've experienced a similar issue on a HP Pavilion, so I thought sharing my situation might help you, hopefully, solve yours.

I've tried last night for the past 2 hours, what I did included:
    Updating everything listed in the HP Support Assistant, with the exception of some multi-media thing( updating drivers, etc.)
    Updating my BIOS version
    Updating my processor's microcode
    Updating the KDE via a pre-installed Lubuntu, in hopes that it'd help.

None of these helped, not at least as an end-result. This morning I spent about 15 minutes trying to find out how to open BIOS( I was used to the non-Windows 10 method), and simply set Virtualization Technology/Accelerated Virtualization to "Enabled" from "Disabled". This might seem silly, obvious, or both, but that's what solved it for me, and no of the other gimmick-y stuff.

Best of luck.