So this is technically related to the initial install of Kali, but it is closely related, so I hope this is the right forum to post it in. I've been running a Kali live installation (with persistence) from a USB drive for a while now, and the other day I got a prompt on the desktop that there was an OS update available. I clicked the "reboot and update" button, and at some point during the update (after it had updated many packages) the progress just stopped. After waiting a few hours I rebooted, figuring it would hose the system and I would just have to reimage the UDB. Much to my amazement, everything worked fine on reboot, but I now get a warning message that /dev/sdc2 is almost full, and indeed it is - the partition is only 721 KB, with only 20 KB free. It is the second of three partitions on the USB drive:

DEVICE VOLUME NAME TYPE SIZE MOUNTED AT
/dev/sdc1 Kali Live Hidden HPFS/NTFS 2.8 GB /lib/live/mount/persistence/sdc1
/dev/sdc2 Kali Live FAT12 721 KB /media/root/Kali Live
/dev/sdc3 persistence Ext4 125 GB /lib/live/mount/persistence/sdc3

FWIW, Kali's "files" GUI sees /dev/sdc2 as a USB drive, which can be ejected. It contains two directories: "System Volume Information", with files named IndexerVolumeGuid and WPSettings.dat, and "efi/boot", with files bootia32.efi and bootx64.efi.

So my questions are, do OS updates work with a Kali live setup in the same way as a "normal" setup, and does the fact that I am using persistence play into that at all? In other words, do the updates generally go to the persistence partition, the OS partition, or perhaps both? What is /dev/sdc1 used for, and is it normal for it to be so small?

Ultimately, I'd like to know if I should just move some space from /dec/sdc3 to /dev/sdc2, or just ignore the warning, or what. Also, if I should be updating the OS in some "special" way due to it being a live distro, I'd of course like to know that as well.

Thanks for any help; I've done a fair amount of Googling on this, but have not hit upon anything.