(keep in mind everything i tried below worked perfectly on my old vm.)

So i recently had to create a new VM of kali linux (2017.2) because my old one (2016.2) got corrupted somehow. For some reason now any time i try running openvpn from cmd i start having network issues. the vpn connects and "ping 8.8.8.8" returns a result but i cant run any programs or browse any websites without them saying they couldn't connect to the server.

I thought it could be some sort of routing issue so i started up a vpn on my host machine then set the network adapter to nat network so its traffic would get routed through the vpn. my host machine still had internet but the vm had the same issue as before even though the traffic wasnt getting encrypted and rerouted until AFTER it left the machine.

Finally i tried disabling the adapter from within kali and connecting a wifi chip to it then running the vpn on it. oddly enough this seemed to work somewhat. im able to open webpages but the connection is INCREDIBLY slow. it takes over a minute to load one page. i checked the internet speed of the wifi chip without the vpn and it was around 50mbps then i checked it with the vpn and well...i couldn't connect to the server for the test because it was THAT slow.

Here's a printout of ifconfig. tun0 is the VPN. also i should mention i'm using the paid vpn NordVPN so the quality of the vpn isn't an issue.

2017-09-21_12-30-19-b855a5e93470f0e67d8a68db1d589a32.jpg

also heres the output of ip route while running the vpn

2017-09-21_12-29-39-6652ea7c6b9d0e279ac0163aa3d170fe.jpg

ive been messing with this and googling all day and i cant find anything that helps. ive tried apt-get dist-upgrade and even fully reinstalling both the VM and virtualbox but nether worked. i also tried contacting two of my teachers and neither of them understood what was happening either