Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Official Kali docs to install Nvidia drivers broke my installation

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_X View Post
    For those using pyrit, check out hashcat, it should be much faster.
    That's what I thought, but using each programs benchmark, pyrit "seems" to be 3 times quicker, if you read the changelogs for pyrit you will see the writer did a lot of work improving speed. I am going to setup an experiment in the next few weeks to see which is the fastest in a real life test.

This part of the Optima how-to must be wrong if you are installing the latest NVIDIA drivers as nvidia-xconfig has been superseded and nvidia-smi is what you need with the latest drivers.

4.Install nvidia driver from kali repo:

Code:

apt-get install nvidia-driver nvidia-xconfig
    My clean install and then the latest NVIDIA drivers does not have nvidia-xconfig loaded, try removing
    apt-get remove nvidia-xconfig
    This is what I was suggesting earlier, the options that nvidia-xconfig writes to your config file are not recognized by the new NVIDIA drivers.

Do you know what version of the NVIDIA driver you have installed on the system ?

Install the latest NVIDIA drivers then configure them with nvidia-smi, heres a good doc, http://developer.download.nvidia.com...smi.331.38.pdf

You can do this without having to boot into X
    Last edited by PandorasBox; 2017-10-15 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PandorasBox View Post
    I am going to setup an experiment in the next few weeks to see which is the fastest in a real life test.
    Would be great if you could also consider Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor. It's fast and convenient and running with Windows. Perfect for guys who are using old Notebooks for Kali and up-to-date hardware with Windows.