Thread: Using all available space on USB

Mikey Guest

Using all available space on USB

Hi
    I recently installed Kali Linux onto a 16GB USB stick and ran it on a Samsung Mini laptop. All went well until I tried to update and upgrade. I was unable to do this because the USB didn't have enough free space for the downloaded data. I expect the upgrade was trying to write the data to the space where Kali Linux had been installed to (2GB) and not the rest of the USB (a little over 13GB).

Is there any way to use the rest of the space on the USB for updates and upgrades or am I stuck with just the Kali Linux in the 2GB of space.

As you may see by my questions I'm pretty new to Kali Linux, but I've got to start somewhere so bare with me on this.

I'd be grateful for any help with this problem.

Thanks a lot.

Michael .

Have you configured the USB stick for persistence? If not, https://docs.kali.org/downloading/ka...sb-persistence can help you set that up. When configuring, be sure to use all available space for the ext3 file system. That should let you upgrade Kali.

Mikey Guest
    Thanks a lot grid

That page was just what I needed, I may be spending more time here over the next couple of months as I start to learn Kali.

But with help like this its going to be less of a pain.

Thanks again.

Have you installed kali filesystem or made bootable kali live? There is a difference. Kali filesystem acquires at least 16GB of space after installation whereas kali live just needs 4GB.

Mikey Guest
    Hi
    I made a Kali live as I'm **** at the dual boot thing, so its easier to boot from the USB stick rather than take the risk of installing Kali to the whole laptop. It works well for me as I've just bought one of those mini laptops (10.1in screen with Windows 7 starter).

I've still got to look at that page you showed me grid.

Do it tomorrow.

Thanks every one.

I had the same problem and I could not get Kali's disk manager to format or partition the unused space on the USB it kept saying that the "file system was incorrect" I tired every single type but it would not format in any system.

I went into Windows 10 disk manager that allowed me to format the unused space as FAT so I was able to use it to download driver files in WIndows10 that would be needed in the Kali install.

I even tried writing the image to the USB using Kali but with the same result, it was not possible to use the unused space on the drive with Kali's disk manager, only Windows 10 could recognize and make use of the unused space. But Kali would recognize the partition and volume that Windows created so all ended well, just weird that Kali creates partitions that it cant later deal with.

No problem, hope it works for you

Mikey Guest
    Hi
    Well things didn't go as planned and I'm stuck at mounting /dev/sdb3

I followed the instruction to the letter, but every time (7 in all) it always comes out the same "umount: mnt/usb: not mounted"

I'd be most grateful if you could have a look at the screenshot and tell me whats wrong.

Don't see anything obvious in the screenshot. I'd try removing the USB stick, clearing dmesg, then plugging the USB stick back in. If there's something going on with the USB stick, errors should show up in dmesg, or in /var/log.

Typing error. There is a difference between my__usb and my_usb.

my_usb does not exist in /mnt

Mikey Guest
    OH dear
    I wiggled it, I rubbed it, I even blew in to it and still I couldn't get it to work. So like an idiot, I decided to install Kali on the whole drive, well its just a second hand mini laptop after all.

Any way I got over half way and the software demanded I plug in the original disc which was already running in the external DVD drive (the mini laptop doesn't have a DVD drive).

After several tries I gave up and low and behold I can't run windows any more. It will still boot from my usb drive. So not all is lost.

Any suggestions other than "****** idiot" would be most helpful.

Thanks a lot.

There was a typing mistake in your previous commands. You created a directory /mnt/my__usb and in your later commands you were typing the directory name as /mnt/my_usb which doesn't exist. You are typing incorrect name.

Everything was going smooth then why did you delete the partition when you could have easily fixed your mistake?