Thread: Question about Kali Linux Mate

Question about Kali Linux Mate

Hi guys

I have a question about Kali Linux Mate edition. Just installed it and found that there was no network-manager in it.
    Strange part was that ifconfig wlan0 start did not work due to a RF-kill signal

Even tried attaching a eth0 cable to see if I could get a internet connection, which I did not.

So basically for a noob like me, this distro was totally useless, which is a shame since I cannot use the full distro cause of it
    generating a black screen of death constantly

Anyway, did try iwlist wlan0 scan | grep ESSID with no luck either.

So basically I am out of luck, seriously hating this right now, as it seem like Backbox or even Ubuntu
    might be my only choice, sad because I love Kali and belive it is a great platform to learn.
    I would love to change the world, but they will not give me the source code!

Is Kali Linux Right For You?

Offensive security doesn't recommend kali if you are not familiar with Linux. It requires minimum amount of experience to work with kali.

Have you tried installing network-manager?
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt-cache search network-manager
    sudo apt install network-manager

I have been using Offensive Security since Backtrack 4 the live cd.. I have Linux experience.
    Problem with your suggestion is that you cannot run any apt, apt-get, aptitude or any other Debian package manager with no Internet connection.

But I do appreciate your effort to help me, so keep those suggestion coming.
    I would love to change the world, but they will not give me the source code!

Quote Originally Posted by Nubbix View Post
    Problem with your suggestion is that you cannot run any apt, apt-get, aptitude or any other Debian package manager with no Internet connection.
    Oh i totally missed this point.

Just download network-manager package from outside of kali like from kali live and run sudo apt-get download network-manager*.

This will download all the network-manager packages to your home directory. Copy these packages somewhere and boot kali mate.

cd /path/to/the/directory/where/.deb/files/are/located
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb

The above command will install all the .deb files.

https://pkg.kali.org/pkg/network-manager
    Last edited by _defalt; 2017-10-08 at 07:55.