Thread: kali 2017.2 install header 4.12

Unhappy kali 2017.2 install header 4.12

hello

i install kali 2017.2 32bit; my version is:

Code:
    #uname -r
    4.12.0-kali1-686-pae
    and i want install linux-headers-4.12.0-kali1-686-pae, but i can't find or install them:
    Code:
    #apt-cache search linux-headers
    aufs-dkms - DKMS files to build and install aufs
    linux-headers-4.13.0-kali1-686 - Header files for Linux 4.13.0-kali1-686
    linux-headers-4.13.0-kali1-686-pae - Header files for Linux 4.13.0-kali1-686-pae
    linux-headers-4.13.0-kali1-all - All header files for Linux 4.13 (meta-package)
    linux-headers-4.13.0-kali1-all-i386 - All header files for Linux 4.13 (meta-package)
    linux-headers-4.13.0-kali1-common - Common header files for Linux 4.13.0-kali1
    linux-headers-686 - Header files for Linux 686 configuration (meta-package)
    linux-headers-686-pae - Header files for Linux 686-pae configuration (meta-package)
    linux-libc-dev-alpha-cross - Linux Kernel Headers for development (for cross-compiling)
    linux-libc-dev-arm64-cross - Linux Kernel Headers for development (for cross-compiling)
    this is my repo address:
    Code:
    #cat /etc/apt/source*
    deb https://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main non-free contrib
    HOW TO i can install linux-headers-4.12... on kali 2017.2 without upgrading it?

important:
    i no want upgrade my OS , i want install only linux-headers-4.12... , and i no want run apt upgrade my system ..

thank you

thank you, and answer on stackoverflow

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    as also discussed on stackoverflow, the headers are no longer available through the pool which heavily limits the use of kali as a live-DVD as it is no longer possible to e.g. build modules on systems without persistent storage. weekly images might be a workaround but that would involve a lot of updating/downloading.

IMHO a special (frozen) repo holding additional packages of the current snapshot would be a good idea to circumvent this issue. even better if this repo would already be in sources.list (commented out) so non-persistence-users only need to enable it on demand...

for the time being, can anyone upload the linux-header-4.12 .deb for i386 and amd64 please or let me know where i may find it?

Angry I'm with that guy -- please fix or give us the files so we can fix

Quote Originally Posted by antiplex View Post
    as also discussed on stackoverflow, the headers are no longer available through the pool which heavily limits the use of kali as a live-DVD as it is no longer possible to e.g. build modules on systems without persistent storage. weekly images might be a workaround but that would involve a lot of updating/downloading.

IMHO a special (frozen) repo holding additional packages of the current snapshot would be a good idea to circumvent this issue. even better if this repo would already be in sources.list (commented out) so non-persistence-users only need to enable it on demand...

for the time being, can anyone upload the linux-header-4.12 .deb for i386 and amd64 please or let me know where i may find it?

I'm a newb to Kali, but an experienced *nix and network admin. I have Kali encrypted persistence on a usb stick and I bought an Alfa brand wifi card to start cracking tutorials. My old USB 2 laptop sees the card, and Ubuntu 16.04 has a driver that works, but Kali has 4.13 headers, but only a 4.12 kernel, after a long wait for apt-get upgrade. I downloaded/installed a 4.13 kernel, but there's no /boot/initrd.img-4.13.0-kali1-amd64 so either way i try to "apt-get install realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms" it fails because I have a 4.12 kernel, no way (no apparent way) to get 4.12 linux-headers, and no way to boot to 4.13, cuz there's no initrd thing in /boot. can't go backward, can't go forward. Please make 4.12 headers available, or please make the 4.13 kernel usable with a /boot/initrd.img-4.13.0-kali1-amd64 file. Thanks much. amic

@amic You can install weekly image. It has kernel v4.13.