Thread: ~Unable To Add "Non Root User", To Kali Linux~

~Unable To Add "Non Root User", To Kali Linux~

After multiple installs on multiple systems & a plethora of research, I'm stumped? After installing Kali Linux 32 on a few different systems the first thing I wanted to do was create a "Non-Root", or "Standard User", account. So I went into terminal & have spent over six hours trying every configuration possible trying to add a new user account? All is apparently well until that is it's time to "Switch Users")-: In other words I can create the account in terminal by entering either "useradd", or "adduser", along with "Pwd", however when it comes time to "Switch Users", the operating system just seems to loop me back to root account? I have read numerous threads about this exact same issue on a myriad of different forum scattered across the net! If anyone has any ideas or has encounted the same issue here with a soloution that would be GREAT! I'm so desperate I was even willing to pay somone on Fiver.com who might have a soloution with respect to the afformentioned. Again for clarification purpouses this seems to be a problem for many Kali, users going back from it appears to 2013. Thanks in advance... your help is greatly appreciated!

I didn't try with terminal but I did create Standard user account from account settings.

Which version of Kali?

What were the EXACT commands you used?

In a terminal...

To create the account 'username':
    Code:
    adduser username
    To add 'username' to sudoers:
    Code:
    adduser username sudo
    To switch users, you will be asked for the 'username' password.
    Code:
    su - username
    Last edited by broomdodger; 2017-10-11 at 17:34.

If you want to switch user for the desktop gui,
    you need to logout of root and login as username.

I previously outlined how to switch user WITHIN terminal.

Which one is your intent?
    - switch user in terminal
    - switch user desktop
    Last edited by broomdodger; 2017-10-11 at 14:14.

Quote Originally Posted by strangedays View Post
    I can create the account in terminal by entering either "useradd", or "adduser", along with "Pwd"
    I can't solve your case but I can confirm that I never had a problem with "adduser"/"useradd" and switching via GUI. I use it from Kali 2016.2 on. I used it with 64bit and am using it with Kali 2017.1 32bit, works fine.

I have this same issue. I've tried to look everywhere but no luck. I have added a user, and yes I can switch user in terminal by su - "new user". But when I try to do it in Mate (Log off root -> switch user) Screen goes blank, and after any key is pressed root's desktop is visible again. I think that this has something to do with root autologin to Mate.