Thread: Kali Linux Username and password reset- Kali-linux 2017.2

Kali Linux Username and password reset- Kali-linux 2017.2

Current situation: User-name and password not working to login into Kali Linux

Version: Kali Linux 2017.2 -iso-64Bit - https://www.kali.org/downloads/

Hardware and software scenario: Dual booted with a Mac OSX

Current abilities: I can fully go into my OSX operating system or to the GNU GRUB and the Kali Linux login screen.

So let me try to make this simple and easy to understand, I cannot login into Kali Linux. For some reason, the username and password I put did not function as promised. For the record: yes i have tried "root" as the user-name and "toor" and the password- that also did not work. I went all over the internet and have seen if not all the youtube videos of the "Reset kali linux username and password tutorials" and even on some fourms but they did not help due to a minor detail.. I noticed all the tutorials were pretty much the same, Go into your GNU GRUB in your kali linux, Here you have two options " *Kali GNU/Linux " and " Advanced options for Kali GNU/Linux " select Advanced options, and now you have another two options " *Kali GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.12.0-kali1-amd64 " and " Kali GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.12.0-kali1-amd64 (recovery mode) " next to press the " E " key and on what it seems to be the recovery mode option, and you get this code I will show you in this next image.

Kali-Linux-v2-GNU-GRUB-Recovery-page.jpg

Now the next steps was to change code in this page which was to change where it says " ro " to " rw " and then at the end of that same line you add " init=/bin/bash " which then you hit the " F10 " key to boot, which then I should have recieved this prompt. - will demonstrate in the next image.

Change-Password.jpg

But this was not possible for me because i noticed something.. The code/script/program to be run... was not the same on my page as what the tutorial had shown, this goes for every tutorial i found btw... This is because this is what my page looked like, Keep in mind what im about to show you is the GNU GRUB for the recovery mode option i had press the " E " key on.

The vertical and horizonal symbols represent the box surrounding the code, to show you exactly what the code looked like for me and the red " . " represent the space

GNU GRUB version 2.02-2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    |setparams 'Kali GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.12.0-kali1-amd64 (recovery mode)'
    |...............load_video
    |...............insmod gzio
    |...............if [ x$grub_platform = xxen ]; then insmod xzio; insmod lzopio; fi
    |...............insmod part_gpt
    |...............insmod ext2
    |...............set root='hd0,gpt5'
    |...............if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint =xy ]; then
    |.................search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt5 --hint-efi=hd0,gpt5 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt5 c7949d41-4d4f-4002-af4d-1d294c763c1e
    |...............else
    |.................search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root c7949d41-4d4f-4002-af4d-1d294c763c1e
    |................fi
    |................echo 'Loading Linux 4.12.0-kali1-amd64 ...'
    |................linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.12.0-kali1-amd64 root=UUID=c7949d41-4d4f-4002-1d294c763c1e ro single
    |................echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    |................initrd /boot/initrd.img-4.12.0-kali1-amd64
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So its because of this I dont know what to do, except ask you guys as a fourm to help me out on this. fustrated :/
    Last edited by Bloodbound696; 2017-10-14 at 18:47.

What you are talking about only works if you have the password anyway. If the password you entered at login (userr:root password:your password) didnt work then you probly couldnt reset it that way anyway. Best bet delete all and reinstall.

Funny thing....

Quote Originally Posted by bigbiz View Post
    What you are talking about only works if you have the password anyway. If the password you entered at login (userr:root password:your password) didnt work then you probly couldnt reset it that way anyway. Best bet delete all and reinstall.
    So i managed to login after countless trials... and heres the funny thing, it still pops up as the code i presented I wonder why thats happening but you know something?, im gonna have to put up another thread because I want to get rid of Kali Linux on this, and just set it up ina virtual computer and get a usb wifi adapter :/ on a different computer, idk where to uninstall this and safely delete the partitions i made.

Live boot kali . Then from there run gparted

It works for me my code is like yours...i change ro to rw and add init=/bin/bash