Thread: Virtualbox Kali Linux 64 bit VM 2017.2 - dist-upgrade kills virtualbox-guest tools

Virtualbox Kali Linux 64 bit VM 2017.2 - dist-upgrade kills virtualbox-guest tools

Hello..
    I just downloaded and configured this to use, configured shared folders and everything works fine.

Did an apt-get upgrade without any issues, but if I try an apt-get dist-upgrade, the shared folders quits working. The folder is still listed on the /media folder, but if I copy anything there, it doesn't show up at the folder location on the windows host.

apt-get dist-upgrade does show that virtualbox-guest-dkms, virtualbox-guest-utils, and virtualbox-guest-x11 have updates available.

Anyone else run into issues or know how to fix this after the upgrade?

Thanks..

I have the same problem.
    The only solution i found, is to restore the virtual machine to a restore point before the upgrade.

This should be related to upgrading the kernel and Linux-Kali headers.
    Have you tried reinstalling everything ?!

Quote Originally Posted by JaScoMa View Post
    Hello..
    I just downloaded and configured this to use, configured shared folders and everything works fine.

Did an apt-get upgrade without any issues, but if I try an apt-get dist-upgrade, the shared folders quits working. The folder is still listed on the /media folder, but if I copy anything there, it doesn't show up at the folder location on the windows host.

apt-get dist-upgrade does show that virtualbox-guest-dkms, virtualbox-guest-utils, and virtualbox-guest-x11 have updates available.

Anyone else run into issues or know how to fix this after the upgrade?

Thanks..
    Apt-get dist-upggrade + apt-get upgrade are the same basicllly. Dont forget to apt- get update before u do.!