Thread: Can't boot system after apt-get upgrade

Can't boot system after apt-get upgrade

Hello
    When I use the command "apt-get upgrade" I can not start the computer (boot system) because in raports on start I have a 'cgroup: cgroup2: unknown option "nsdelegate"'.
    And waiting has no end. I've reformatted my computer many times to try and it's allways.
    In 32Bit version of Kali I don't have this probem.
    I am a fresh in this field and I would ask for a detailed explanation.

[= Informations about system =]

id
    uid=0(root) gid=0(root) grupy=0(root)

uname -a
    Linux kali 4.12.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.12.6-1kali6 (2017-08-30) x86_64 GNU/Linux

lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Kali
    Description: Kali GNU/Linux Rolling
    Release: kali-rolling
    Codename: kali-rolling

Incredible, i have the same problem. I thought it was Wine32 because every time I try to install it, after the reboot i get stuck on boot. But now, thinking about it, i did the apt-get update too before the install of wine, so i think it's the same problem. I run the fsck, tried to recover the system but nothing works. Re-installing the system is the only way, but i cannot understand the cause.

Ok, I solved updating kali to the 4.13 kernel version. Now everything runs fine.
    Last edited by darkit; 2017-10-27 at 18:01. Reason: Merging posts

Same problem here. Seems to be something broken in the newest rolling-version?

I could fix that with starting in recovery mode to get shell & dpkg --configure -a
    After that i could start and finish the upgrade

I use this and problem still existing but system run normal. I'm still scare about this... How can I remove this problem in its entirety?

same problem but cant access recopvery mode, is there any way to update the kernel in other way than accessing it?

i really want to avoid reinstalling everything from 0.

btw, is there are other possible solution will be ok anyway, not a problem at all to uninstall wine since it even doesnt do what i want :/

Same problem, it happened twice already , ... don t wanna re-install everything this time ... any idea? thanks !

Hey everyone, I’ve found a way to fix the issue. First you must boot to recovery mode. Make sure you are plugged in on ethernet. Then run service network-manager restart. This will get you reconnected. Next it is recommended that you update your sources.list to contain only those listed on the Kali website.
    Next run echo "nameserver 8:8:8:8" | sudo tee /etc/resolv.conf >/dev/null. This will ensure your resolv.conf has the correct nameserver. Once that is complete run and ifconfig to ensure you’re connected. apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and you’re golden.

EDIT:
    Forgot to add do an apt dist-upgrade. This fixed it all for me.
    Last edited by maiki; 2017-11-11 at 09:45. Reason: Merge posts

Hello,
    same problem with a black screen, the solution from Honowski doesn't work for me.

I run Kali in Virtualbox, once I'm past grub the screen flickers exactly 6 times.
    I get to login with CTRL+ALT+F3 and login works
    Doesn't look like the VM guest additions are active at this point but I have access to the system.
    Activating network and updating/upgrading doesn't help. I used a backup, ran an apt update/upgrade which seems to be causing the problems. An additional apt dist-upgrade neither helps nor hurts.

So I reckon that something in the last upgrade is the problem, any ideas how to troubleshoot that?
    Edit: Version is 4.13.10-1kali2 (2017-11-08) x86_64

This works!

Quote Originally Posted by Honowski View Post
    Hey everyone, I’ve found a way to fix the issue. First you must boot to recovery mode. Make sure you are plugged in on ethernet. Then run service network-manager restart. This will get you reconnected. Next it is recommended that you update your sources.list to contain only those listed on the Kali website.
    Next run echo "nameserver 8:8:8:8" | sudo tee /etc/resolv.conf >/dev/null. This will ensure your resolv.conf has the correct nameserver. Once that is complete run and ifconfig to ensure you’re connected. apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and you’re golden.

EDIT:
    Forgot to add do an apt dist-upgrade. This fixed it all for me.
    Thank you very much, Honowski! This worked perfectly!

connected my laptop via cable
    booted to recoverymode
    Had to use ctrl + alt + f3 to get to another tty anyways.. but able to log in from there.
    went through my sources.list and removed all except those listed on kali website (or those who was there from my fresh/clean install)
    run : echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" | sudo tee /etc/resolv.conf >/dev/null
    run : apt-get update
    run : apt-get upgrade
    run : apt dist-upgrade

rebooted and voila!
    Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by Godl1ke View Post
    I could fix that with starting in recovery mode to get shell & dpkg --configure -a
    After that i could start and finish the upgrade
    Thanks man!
    it works for me too, i had the cgroup: cgroup2: nsdelegate unknown error problem and i couldn't access to login screen like forever.
    i did reboot and start kali in recovery mode and did run dpkg --configure -a and it start configuring and extracting file from the last update then i rebooted again and it works. cheers !

SOLVED!!
    1. go to recovery mode
    2. You'll be prompted to input your password.
    3. Apt-get dist-upgrade
    4. You'll see "these files are no longer required"
    5. Input apt autoremove
    6. Confirm with "y"
    7. Then dpkg --configure -a
    8. Reboot.
    9. Thank me later.

NB: KALI LINUX 4.15 upgrade failing to boot after upgrade due to restarting after taking slot of time/hanging during installation process