Thread: What's the difference between in x11, gnome and the others?

What's the difference between in x11, gnome and the others?

Hello people, I recently joined the community. I had some experiences with manjaro and ubuntu before just to understand basics. However, I'm working as a freelance moderator and need some of the programs to behave correctly. They weren't working as they were supposed to so I switched back to Windows. Now, I'm using Windows as my main and Kali alongside it. I'm trying to get used to it and learning the basics from scratch. I've searched it all over the web but couldn't find any specific thing about it. When I try to log in to Kali, there is a little icon to change settings as X11, gnome and 2 others.

Which one should I choose while starting Kali?

Thanks in advance.

X11, according to wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System) is "a windowing system for bitmap displays, common on UNIX-like computer operating systems."
    Gnome is a desktop environment that relies on X11.
    You are probably also talking about KDE, which is does similar things as gnome but is different.
    You can use X11 but you'll need a desktop environment if you want to make it user friendly.

The choice is whatever you like.

Check out https://kali.training for the kali book, to get started with using linux.