Thread: Dual booting with UEFI Windows 10

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dual booting with UEFI Windows 10

I have a laptop that came installed with windows 10, and I am trying to install Kali 2017.2. Here is what I did:

1. Create a bootable (Kali 2017.2) USB using uNetbootin, this worked and I get the live, live persist etc. options
    2. Partition my harddrive in Windows so that I have 31 GB unallocated space.
    3. Select the install option from the bootable USB
    4. Go through the options till the partitioning part.
    5. Allocated 15 GB for root, or / (ext4), 12 gb for /home (also ext4) and 4 GB for swap (all new partitions created on my only drive from the unalllocated space)
    6. The installation goes through successfully, it installs Grub (or says it does) and tells me to unplug my USB and reboot, so I do so.
    7. Opening the boot menu still only shows Windows Boot Manager, and the Windows Boot Manager only lets me select either Windows 10 or memory diagnostics.

Is there something I missed?

The Laptop is an acer aspire e5-574 (https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-A....173971.0.html)

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by sofusoe; 2017-11-07 at 03:57. Reason: Version was not clear enough

Is there an option Boot From EFI in your Boot Menu Options?

If there is no such option then it must be in your UEFI settings. You can manually add the entry of grub under the Boot tab. Name of settings can be different for your PC.

My F2 settings look very much like a BIOS, and do not have a lot of options. If I go into the Windows 10 UEFI settings (by holding shift while clicking restart before logging in) I get an option to boot from an UEFI USB device. I clicked this, got to the USB, installed and same result as previously. The disk is successfully partitioned, no errors during install, but I cannot boot to the partition.

This fixed my problem: https://kaliuefi.blogspot.co.uk/2017...er-system.html

Appearantly the process has some extra steps on Acer laptops, which is adding the EFI files manually.