Thread: bash: apt... command not found

bash: apt... command not found

For some reason Kali Linux says apt command not found or apt... command not found and I do not know why. I am on Kali rolling release and installed an update recently and it seems to have come from that. I'm a noob with Kali and am not sure what other information would be useful to give other than that I have tried things from other people with this issue like installing the binaries but can't seem to get that to work. At the end of the day, if I can't fix this then I'm happy to completely wipe the system as I am triple booting. Any help would be really appreciated and let me know if there is anything I can do to help you help me. Thanks.

Here are my hardware specs:

7.2 GiB of RAM
    AMD® A4-5000 apu with radeon(tm) hd graphics × 4 processor
    AMD® Kabini graphics
    Kali GNU/Linux Rolling 64-bit base system
    300.8 GB disc space

Here is my software version:

root@Adam:~# lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Kali
    Description: Kali GNU/Linux Rolling
    Release: kali-rolling
    Codename: kali-rolling
    root@Adam:~#

root@Adam:/# apt

bash: apt: command not found

root@Adam:/# apt-get

bash: apt-get: command not found

root@Adam:/# apt-get update

bash: apt-get: command not found

root@Adam:/#

Edit: Now I think about it, it let me run this apt command (apt-get install dirmngr apt-transport-https) but no apt commands after it. Could it be that that is what caused it? I was just following the instructions here

It doesn't make any sense the command is not found. I would recommend wiping the disk and reinstalling.

In any case, installing other repos is not recommended and will break your Kali, sooner or later.

I looked at that VPN provider and it seems like you don't need to install anything other than openvpn from the Kali repos if you choose their openvpn option.

Hi there, thanks for the response I really appreciate it very much. The reason I am going with this option and not open on is because openvpn sucks in terms of internet speed at least from my experience. I'm more than happy to wipe my Kali as there isn't really much on it. Could you recommend the best way to wipe it cleanly and properly. Keep in mind I have multiple OS's installed (dual boot). Thank you.

OpenVPN server of Japan is actually pretty fast because it is hosted by a University who is a developer of softether VPN.

Okay, interesting. I tried the Japan server through the app but it was abysmal in terms of speed and ping. Anyway, I can sort this stuff out later. Would you be able to help me with my issue at all? I'm not sure what the best method of completely wiping and starting Kali again is as I have more than one OS installed. Thanks you.

www.vpngate.net/
    This list is updated by openVPN community. The fastest VPN server is displayed on top along with the bandwidth it offers.

Okay thank you very much for that information as it would be great to get good open vpn speeds on my router for stuff like my consoles. I will definitely look into this when I'm able to. Without trying to be rude though, could we get back on topic with the purpose of this thread? Thanks.��

apt binaries are located in /usr/bin. If it is not there or if that directory is empty then you have to reinstall kali. Use locate apt-get command. It should turn up /usr/bin/apt-get/

Okay thanks. Will have a look at that directory very soon. However, that apt command won't work as apt isn't recognised as a command though? I guess I'll just have to reinstall Kali . Thanks.