Hello,

I am using Dell Inspirion N5050 and I tried installing latest Kali version (I do not know exactly) but I just downloaded a week ago. I was using windows 7 before it wipped out. I have a single harddisk. I do not know much specifications of my laptop in details.

I am new to Kali linux, I wanted to create a bootable kali linux in my usb and i used uui to mount the iso file in my usb. Then, when I changed my laptop setting to boot from my usb and when the installation screen for kali popped up, I started installing it, I didn’t know I can actually installing it into my harddrive. I continued with the process and a error came up saying “some of your hardware needs non free firware files to operate....” then i searched the problem online and saw a thread that if i used rufus to mount the usb, I would not have the problem. So i cancelled the process and mounted my pendrive again using rufus.

I again started the installation process but the problem was there but I was able to complete the process and when my pc restarted again the installation page came up again.

So, I removed my usb and started my pc then I saw a black screen with a white blinker.

I started searching online then I knew that by installing Kali i wipped out my windows 7 operating system. And since no operating system loads, I think my kali installation failed as well. I learnt that I was not creating a bootable usb and I should have created a partition beforehand if I wanted to install it in my harddrive.

I searched for the solution in various online forum but I could not find any user claming that any of those worked.

Is there any way to restore my windows 7 without losing any data? I am not able to access my pc.

any help is much appreciated..

Thank you!