Thread: Help: Install Kali Linux on Dell i7559, {Just Black Screens}

Help: Install Kali Linux on Dell i7559, {Just Black Screens}

Hello, I am trying to install kali linux on my dell i7559 I am trying to get kali fulling working before dual boot with windows 10. i am using a USB SanDisk 8GB flash drive. I am using kali-linux-2016.1-amd64.iso /with linux 4.3.0 dew to my Intel Core i7-6700HQ being "special" from what i have read online. i am using Win32 Disk Imager to write to the flash drive. Installing goes fine i work threw every screen, besides when it asks me for non-free firmware files. says i am missing iwlwifi-7265D-17.ucode, thats fine its not a problem i have the firmware on a flashdrive from -github.com/wkennington/linux-firmware/. I am not worried about installing wifi drivers at the moment, the laptop has wire connection anyways. The installation finishes without a problem or error and asks me to remove usb/cdrom etc after restart. After restart loads up like normal grup menu then i select kali gnu/linux, then goes to loading please wait then shows mounting drivers, then loads the kali login screen then it seems to freeze (sometimes)/ it allows me to move mouse other times. When i login with root it seems to then freeze my mouse again and lock up the computer. i figure it may be a video driver but i am really not sure.

• Usb Sandisk
    • kali-linux-2016.1-amd64.iso
    • Win32 Disk Imager
    • iwlwifi-7265D-17.ucode

Laptop Specs:
    • Dell - i7559-7514GRY
    • 15.6" 4K Ultra HD Touch Screen
    • Intel Core i7-6700HQ Processor
    • 16GB Memory
    • 1T HD
    • 128GB SSD
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M Graphics Card
    • Windows 10

With such an high end latest generation laptop, you are using outdated 2016.1 version of kali-rolling. Install the latest iso from here: https://cdimage.kali.org/kali-images/kali-weekly/

i originally started off with the kali's weekly iso, and it wouldn't even allow me to install kali. it would say im missing non-free firmware and i would push past the screen it would then show a screen displaying this was taken from my phone it is version kali-linux-2017.2-amd64.iso

IMG_3374.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ibuzzy View Post
    i originally started off with the kali's weekly iso, and it wouldn't even allow me to install kali. it would say im missing non-free firmware and i would push past the screen it would then show a screen displaying this was taken from my phone it is version kali-linux-2017.2-amd64.iso

IMG_3374.jpg
    When installer asks you that some non-free firmwares are missing, ignore it. Select NO proceed to installation.

Noveau is the video driver of Nvidia Graphic card. To prevent it from being loaded at boot time, once you reach grub menu, press e to open grub parameters and replace quiet with nomodeset quiet splash.

To make this change permanent, once you reach desktop, edit the same in /etc/default/grub.conf and run sudo update-grub

Old version of kali rolling can't support latest generation hardwares. Avoid using that.
    Last edited by _defalt; 2017-11-18 at 15:44.

I started over and used kalis weekly iso. Installed fine, after i reached the grub menu i replaced quiet with nomodeset quiet splash. i pressed f10 to boot and it loaded fine, allowed me to login. I have noticed off the start my brightness is very low and wont allow me to toggle with my keyboard controls. i looked into backlight but i seem to not have any files within /sys/class/backlight/ to allow me to adjust it. Finally i gave up and went to restart to see if the permanent change i made "sudo update-grub && sudo grub-install /dev/sda2" (i installed kali on the 1TB hard drive for this test purpose) on the reboot process it black screens again and displays
    IMG_0185 (1).JPG

I shouldn't have told you to reinstall grub. It resets the changes you made with grub parameters. I have edited my previous post. Do it again.

Here's how to fix brightness: https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/404785/192349
    Last edited by _defalt; 2017-11-19 at 15:58.

is he stuck in a loop? going to bios disable Legacy boot.reinstall To give a CD or DVD drive boot sequence priority over the hard drive

So now are you trying to boot from the USB pen drive or the hard drive? And is the hard drive external or internal?
    Are you dual booting?
    Depending on that you want to check if your installs are on
    /dev/sda,sda1,sdb,sdb1,sdc,sdc1.

Did you partition it with Gparted?

Also most important thing, if you are getting a black screen with writing take a clear picture of the error .

My best advice , reinstall kali. After a fresh install try apt-get update && reboot.
    Last edited by Raid; 2017-11-20 at 19:01.

hi, to solve it in grub press e and change quiet splash for nomodeset quiet splash, but you should do this every time you start the kali,
    if you do not want to do it, you should modify /etc/default/grub GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset quiet splash"