Thread: Problems with networkcard & OSX installing Kali with rEFInd on MacBook

Problems with networkcard & OSX installing Kali with rEFInd on MacBook

Hello,

today I tried to install the newest Kali Linux version 2017.3 onto my MacBook Air using rEFInd following this tutorial. Installed rEFInd through Recovery Mode because of SIP as described here.
    I used a bootable USB with the Kali image on it to load through rEFInd into Kali Live. Using the GNOME Partition Editor, I resized the partition OSX is installed on, as described in the tutorial.
    After rebooting, I wanted to start up OSX, but was prompted with a 'prohibited symbol' like this. Standard measures with a Mac that won't boot (cmd + R, cmd + alt/option + P + R, etc.) didn't solve the problem. Not caring much as I have no data on the computer, I went on to install Kali on the drive.
    During the installation, I was asked to include a .bin file named "rt2870.bin", because I was using a Wifi Stick working with a Mediatek Chipset (i guess). Looking at their website, I downloaded the Linux drivers, but got a .dmg, which I neither know how to use nor decided to use as I went on with the installation ignoring the wifi stick, hoping I could use the network card.
    Followed by my main problem: I wasn't able to set up a network mirror for Kali. Did the built-in network card of my Mac not get recognized, or did I miss a step somewhere?
    Missing the network mirror, I'm not able to get updates for the system. Also, does someone here have an idea how to fix the MacOS without losing the partitioning I did? The data is not important to me; a clean install is an option if someone could explain to me how to correctly set up this dual-boot environment.
    Any help, input, and tips regarding Kali or Linux in general are greatly appreciated.

- JackTheHunter

First of all, you might want to consider writing using paragraphs to make it easier to read.

I can't help for any OSX issues as I don't own a mac but regarding the .bin file, it is talking about the firmware, not the driver itself. In most cases, you can get it from the package (find the appropriate one, download it and unpack it then copy on a USB) and if you can't find it in packages, you'll find it in https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...mware.git/log/

If your mac is running high sierra then you will run into a lot of problems, The newest refind (0.11.2) and the newest kali (2017.3) do not seem to want to work together. I have been trying to get the newest kail installed on my Macbook pro for two days now and all I've been able to accomplish was running kali live from a usb but I can't get it to install to my partitioned disk and run from there. I cant even get the kali boot menu to show up, it would just load me into a default root user kali desktop. Someone needs to address the issue with high sierra, kali 2017.3 and refind 0.11.2 and post a tutorial.

EDIT:
    I was finally able to dual boot kali 2017.3 on my mac alongside my OSX High Sierra, i just made a new boot-able drive with the dd command and the weekly kali ISO, and installed it to a partition on my disk, works well but now my rEFInd won't work, I think im the victim of a Linux Boot Coup, in the words of Rod Smith.
    Last edited by apothicon; 2017-12-07 at 04:26.

Can you access internet once you boot kali?