Thread: TP-LINK TL-WN822N Wifi Usb Adpater Has Very Low Range in My Kali 2017.3

Unhappy TP-LINK TL-WN822N Wifi Usb Adpater Has Very Low Range in My Kali 2017.3

Hi everyone, I recently migrated to kali 2017.3 from linux mint 18.1 and the biggest problem I am having is that I am unable to connect to any wireless network using my above mentioned adapter and let me tell you it was working perfect with linux mint(for mint also I manually downloaded the rtl8192 drivers then it worked well). For now kali detects my adapter but as I said the default driver which kali uses for my device has led to quality loss and very low signal. Then I tried to use same drivers which I downloaded manually for linux mint but then there is problem configuring it. I also tried installing official drivers from tp-link website but they are supported till linux kernel 3.6 only. I have tried going through many forums before asking question here, please help me!!!.

uname -a
    -> Linux kali 4.13.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.13.10-1kali2 (2017-11-08) x86_64 GNU/Linux

lshw -C network(for tp-link adapter)
    ->
    description: Wireless interface
    vendor: Realtek
    physical id: 3
    bus info: usb@2:3
    logical name: wlan1
    version: 2.00
    serial: 16:20:dc:36:a6:1a
    capabilities: usb-2.10 ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8xxxu driverversion=4.13.0-kali1-amd64 firmware=N/A link=no maxpower=500mA multicast=yes speed=480Mbit/s wireless=IEEE 802.11

People seem to prefer the rtl8192eu driver over the rtl8xxxu for that reason.
    Have you tried Mange's repo?

https://github.com/Mange/rtl8192eu-linux-driver

That appears to be the go-to driver these days.

Hope that helps and please let us know how you go.

LOVE YOU re4son, u don't now how happy I am!!! Mange's driver worked for me bro!!! I have been trying to configure my adapter since a month but none of the drivers or solution worked for me. I am very happy that i didn't quit trying for solution and here I am with working adapter. Thank you bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Bro again after restarting my laptop kernel went to old driver(rtl8xxxu)
    lshw -c network
    ->
    description: Wireless interface
    physical id: 2
    bus info: usb@2:3
    logical name: wlan1
    serial: d6:c1:e7:95:03:5e
    capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8xxxu driverversion=4.13.0-kali1-amd64 firmware=N/A link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11

I tried reinstalling Mange's driver but it doesn't work and also there is no error during installation , please help!!!!
    Again the range is reduced!!

Them drivers never make it easy, hey?

Try blacklisting rtl8xxxu. That should do the trick.