Thread: Kali in persistent mode does not update kernel

Kali in persistent mode does not update kernel

I recently upgraded my distro and when I ran the "uname -r" command the result was the same as before applying the "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade -y".

I went to the "/ lib / modules" directory and noticed that there are the folders of both kernels.
    Does anyone know how to keep just the current kernel ?!

A reboot is required.

Does a usb persistence install actually get fully updated on everything like an actual hard drive install would? Like the kernel headers, is it a problem with persistence?

Just tried this at length yesterday on a usb install with persistence trying to upgrade from 4.13 to 4.15 kernel.

It looks as though you can update/upgrade anything on a persistent live usb ... except the kernel ... you can download the kernel image but cannot update grub to boot the new image as it's config file is on a read only partition.

I found a couple of methods of trying to write to the usb read only partition from a different identical OS but couldn't get any access to the read only partition that way either ... so it looks like there is no easy way of updating the kernel version on a persistent install ...

Quote Originally Posted by Trace View Post
    Just tried this at length yesterday on a usb install with persistence trying to upgrade from 4.13 to 4.15 kernel.

It looks as though you can update/upgrade anything on a persistent live usb ... except the kernel ... you can download the kernel image but cannot update grub to boot the new image as it's config file is on a read only partition.

I found a couple of methods of trying to write to the usb read only partition from a different identical OS but couldn't get any access to the read only partition that way either ... so it looks like there is no easy way of updating the kernel version on a persistent install ...
    Well at least it is easy to re-do your persistence stick to a new weekly image, once you have done it a couple times it is a breeze! Especially with a good quality usb stick nice and quick.

Quote Originally Posted by undersc0re View Post
    Well at least it is easy to re-do your persistence stick to a new weekly image, once you have done it a couple times it is a breeze! Especially with a good quality usb stick nice and quick.
    Aha! ... I am new to Kali ... didn't realise there was a weekly image ... wish I'd known that the other day ...