Thread: Old AWUS036H vs new AWUS036ACH - performance comparison

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Old AWUS036H vs new AWUS036ACH - performance comparison

I've been using the 36H for a long time now, but being it is 802.11 b/g only, decided to upgrade to a 36ACH, now that it's supported. Oddly enough, it seems like the ACH is quite a bit weaker in terms of what it'll pick up at any given range.

I'm wondering if this is a common thing or if maybe I've got something set up incorrectly. I actually ordered two 36ACHs, and they both seem weaker, so either they're both bad or the old 36H just seems to do a better job at distance.

The below screenshot shows the new 36ACH on the right on the old 36H on the left.

Thoughts?

For the 36ACH, I wasn't able to use the drivers available from the apt repository that the Kali page suggests, but I found another forum post and was able to compile a different driver. I found that driver here: https://github.com/kimocoder/rtl8812au

I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I'm able to get the new card into monitor mode, although using "airmon-ng start [wlan int]" doesn't work with the 36ACH like it does with the old adapter. For the new one I have to type "link set [wlan int] down && iwconfig [wlan int] mode monitor && ip link set [wlan int] up"

Not a huge deal, just different. I basically have to go through the same steps again to get it out of monitor mode, only use "mode managed" instead of "mode monitor." I'm wondering if there's some compatibility weirdness between these drivers and airodump, since airmon doesn't like doing things the "normal" way with the 36ACH.

Also, I notice that the 36ACH is finding 5Ghz networks almost exclusively, though it does see a couple of 2.4Ghz networks. I would expect the range on 5Ghz networks to be less, and therefore see less of them in the airodump output, but being that it's dual radio, shouldn't it be finding all of the 2.4Ghz networks that the 36H is finding PLUS the 5Ghz networks?

Any insight is appreciated.
    Last edited by i64X; 2017-12-30 at 21:40.