Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old AWUS036H vs new AWUS036ACH - performance comparison

Sorry for the delayed responses. All of my replies need to be moderated so it takes half a day for them to show up. I'll do some more testing tomorrow at work when I have access to my laptop and my 36ACH. I do have a cable for my 36H that has a USB micro to two USB type-A interfaces... essentially one is used for data and the other is used to provide additional power. I'll test the 36ACH with that to see if it makes a difference. With the 36H I never even bothered to connect the power-only USB-A portion of the cable to an additional port because it worked fine with only the single USB-A connection. Maybe that'll be the solution? Fingered crossed. haha.

One thing that comes to mind that I don't like is that the Lenovo T450S that I have Kali installed bare-metal on doesn't have colored USB ports... I know it supports USB 3.0, but neither port is blue, so I don't know if one is USB 3.0, or both, or what. :-/

I'm not sure if the main guys that have been modding these drivers have noticed this ... on this page where a few of them are discussing it: https://github.com/abperiasamy/rtl88...inux/issues/12

In post #3 PolishMike talks about the adapter being in usb2 mode and shows his output of lsusb -v which reports it as usb2 with a MaxPower of 500ma

Then in post #4 crazyc proposes a fix to run the adapter in usb3 mode and shows the output of his lsusb -v which now reports the adapter as a usb3 device and everybody is happy and excited about the usb issue ...... BUT

Nobody seems to notice that although the adapter is now reported as being a usb3 device the MaxPower of the adapter is now reported as being only 200ma which is what seems to be killing the range.

I think this range problem is more obvious to me as the main reason I bought the adapter was to get a good connection to an outbuilding we have here through two walls and a wooden fence ... so driver performance is immediately obvious to me whereas if people are pentesting at really close range in e.g. an office setup then this adapter current difference may not be that obvious.

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to modify drivers myself ... all I can do is find as much relevant info as possible and hope that someone who can will spot it ...

Did a little more testing. I failed to remember that the interface cable to the 36ACH was a USB 3.0 style mini plug so my aforementioned data/power USB mini cable from the 36H won't work. I plugged in to both of my USB ports with the 36ACH though, which apparently are both USB 3.0, and got the same thing as you did - 200mA on both ports. I then plugged my 36H into each port, and being as it's a 2.0 device, registered at USB 2.0 but showed as being supplied the full 500mA. I'll try to put a note on the GitHub page and hopefully the devs see it.

Quote Originally Posted by i64X View Post
    Did a little more testing. I failed to remember that the interface cable to the 36ACH was a USB 3.0 style mini plug so my aforementioned data/power USB mini cable from the 36H won't work. I plugged in to both of my USB ports with the 36ACH though, which apparently are both USB 3.0, and got the same thing as you did - 200mA on both ports. I then plugged my 36H into each port, and being as it's a 2.0 device, registered at USB 2.0 but showed as being supplied the full 500mA. I'll try to put a note on the GitHub page and hopefully the devs see it.
    No worries about the delayed responses ... I'm still getting moderated too and it's frustrating waiting for replies to get posted.

That was a good idea to try and test it with a dual power cable ... I don't have one here either that will be suitable ...

You'll see then how the range increases when you plug the adapter into a usb2 port but the link and signal quality are still very bad when compared to the 4.3.20 driver I linked to earlier in the thread ...

I see Kimocoder has picked up on the issue at Github ... he did have a point that lsusb -v might not be reporting current accurately but it does make sense of the short range of the adapter and it looks now as if none of these main developers had actually noticed that the adapter might be running at very low power.

I had a look tonight at /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices and interestingly that file reports MxPwr= 800ma for the adapter:
    Code:
    T:  Bus=04 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=02 Cnt=02 Dev#=  3 Spd=5000 MxCh= 0
    D:  Ver= 3.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 9 #Cfgs=  1
    P:  Vendor=0bda ProdID=8812 Rev= 0.00
    S:  Manufacturer=Realtek
    S:  Product=802.11n NIC
    S:  SerialNumber=123456
    C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=800mA
    I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 5 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=8812au
    E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=1024 Ivl=0ms
    E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=1024 Ivl=0ms
    E:  Ad=03(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=1024 Ivl=0ms
    E:  Ad=04(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=1024 Ivl=0ms
    E:  Ad=85(I) Atr=13(Int.) MxPS=  64 Ivl=125us
    So who knows what is correct ... at least it's now in the hands of capable developers ... fingers crossed ...
    Last edited by Trace; 2018-01-04 at 02:05 AM.

I have ordered a short usb3 extension cable so that I can hack it and get an accurate current reading with a multimeter from the 36ACH when it's plugged into usb3 ports ... hopefully arrive in a couple of days, might be Monday though ...

Hurray! replies are being posted immediately now ...

Anybody know how many mw the 36ACH is at maximum? I can't seem to find the specification anywhere.

If it's 1000mw (1w) ... then 1w @5v = 200ma.

So the problem may be somewhere else ... it'll be interesting to see if there is a difference in actual true current between the 4.3.20 (best range I could find) and 5.1.5 drivers on the same hardware usb3 ports.

I got this to measure usb current:

https://www.amazon.com/PowerJive-Vol...VZMCFKKK2B3CDT

I've connected the 036ACH through an ammeter to a USB3 port and took it for a walk around the neighborhood.
    The adapter draws ~200mA under normal operation and spikes to ~500mA when pushed.

It never drew more than 200mA when in monitor mode, which would make sense because it should be the transmitter that draws the most, not the receiver.
    When putting in managed mode, I had to walk for two blocks before I lost a few bars and then it started to increase it's power consumption while surfing the Internet.

Not having spent too much time comparing (yet) and playing with the tx power settings, I think that adapter performs rather well with that driver.
    It's going to be 40 degrees Celsius tomorrow so I won't be doing any walking but I plan to do some comparisons on Sunday, ok?
    ----------------------------------------
    Check out "Sticky Fingers Kali-Pi":
    https://whitedome.com.au/kali-pi

Now with mana-toolkit and more goodies!

Quote Originally Posted by re4son View Post
    I've connected the 036ACH through an ammeter to a USB3 port and took it for a walk around the neighborhood.
    The adapter draws ~200mA under normal operation and spikes to ~500mA when pushed.

It never drew more than 200mA when in monitor mode, which would make sense because it should be the transmitter that draws the most, not the receiver.
    When putting in managed mode, I had to walk for two blocks before I lost a few bars and then it started to increase it's power consumption while surfing the Internet.

Not having spent too much time comparing (yet) and playing with the tx power settings, I think that adapter performs rather well with that driver.
    It's going to be 40 degrees Celsius tomorrow so I won't be doing any walking but I plan to do some comparisons on Sunday, ok?
    40c! .... wow it's going to be about 4c here in Scotland tomorrow ...

Can you translate "two blocks" into metres? ... it sounds a long way?

Are you using this with an AC router?
    Last edited by Trace; 2018-01-05 at 07:06 PM.

Two blocks must have been around 150m, before it got above 200mA. It should theoretically boost the transmission power when it's starting to get transmit errors so that would make sense.
    I was using an AC router on 5GHz so I wouldn't have to walk that far

Enjoy a wee nip of lagavulin and some haggis around the log fire, I'm off to the beach now
    Last edited by re4son; 2018-01-06 at 12:32 AM.
    ----------------------------------------
    Check out "Sticky Fingers Kali-Pi":
    https://whitedome.com.au/kali-pi

Now with mana-toolkit and more goodies!