Thread: Generic Linux Headres in Kali Linux

Generic Linux Headres in Kali Linux

Hi!
    Some time ago i've tried a live Ubunutu 17.10 distro without knowing it has a bug which breaks BIOSes (bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1734147). Since that day i cannot save BIOS settings and i cannot use cds or usb sticks to boot in to other OS.
    On my pc i've already installed Windows and Kali Linux (dual-boot) .
    In order to fix that problem i should update my kernel version at 4.14.9, but Kali uses a custom kernel...
    my question is: Does update my kernel at version 4.14.9 using linux-generic-headers will break my kali machine? If yes, how can i solve this problem?

Thanks!

Could you explain what the current situation is with kali and what the problem is?

I don't see why updating the kernel, as long as it is done through packages (or if you know how to compile your own and deal with it properly):
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade

There is no problem with Kali, it works.
    But in order to fix my problem with the BIOS i have to install kernel at version 4.14.9, my question is: if i compile it my own and install will it break my kali machine?

I'd say at minimum you'll lose wireless packet injection capability, since the Kali kernel is patched for it.

Either wait for kali to update its kernel to your needed version or wait for the the new iso of ubuntu 17.10 which is going to be uploaded soon.

I also don't think that kali can fix your firmware. The problem was created by the Intel SPI driver in ubuntu 17.10. The link you posted in your thread also has a fix. Do you have ubuntu installed?

I don't have Ubuntu installed. Ubuntu bricked my BIOS when I was trying it with a live usb.