Thread: 64bit Kalilinux 2017.3 problem: Can't go fullscreen on Virtualbox 5.1.22

64bit Kalilinux 2017.3 problem: Can't go fullscreen on Virtualbox 5.1.22

Hello,

So, I have a problem which usually can be solved just by googling, but after hours of googling and doing the instructions, I couldn't solve it.
    I installed 64bit Kalilinux 2017.3 inside my Virtualbox 5.1.22 and as usual, I wanted to go fullscreen, so I install the guest addition, which is version 5.1.22), and I rebooted the machine, however it doesn't go fullscreen.
    Please help me resolving this issue.

Thanks

did you install the correct kernel version

I also am current with patches and my 64 Virtualbox 5.1.30 kali 2017.3 won't go full screen now.

I have the same problem, w/ the same versions. Kali 2017.3 and Vbox 5.1.30. It happened after I did an apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade. I haven't been able to get it to work after removing, re-installing. autoremove, etc. I even built a new box from the install iso, and still cannot get the virtualbox-guest-x11 additions to work.

Maybe the package in the repo is messed up? I have no other explanation why it wouldn't work after a fresh install now.

Just applied the latest patches and Full Screen is back. Thank You

Sadly this didn't work for me. I did another new install, and update/upgrade, then installed virtualbox-guest-x11. Still doesn't work. Any other tricks?

That usually happens to me when the version of the vbox guest additions doesn't match the host or when I install a new version from the virtualbox website over an existing version from the repo.

What vbox version are you running on the host?
    Did you install the guest additions from the virtualbox website (or cd image) or from the kali repo?
    What's the output of "dpkg -l virtualbox* | grep ^i" ?
    Have you tried upgrading the host to 5.2.4?
    Are you using the vbox image from the kali site or did you install the guest from scratch?

I've just tested the latest Kali in vbox on OpenSuSE (5.2.4), Windows (5.1.30 & 5.2.4) and Ubuntu (5.1.30) and they all work flawlessly.
    Don't worry, we'll get you your full screen back in no time :-)

Quote Originally Posted by re4son View Post
    That usually happens to me when the version of the vbox guest additions doesn't match the host or when I install a new version from the virtualbox website over an existing version from the repo.

What vbox version are you running on the host? Now 5.2.4 r119785 (Qt5.6.2) on Win10 x64
    Did you install the guest additions from the virtualbox website (or cd image) or from the kali repo? Kali Repo
    What's the output of "dpkg -l virtualbox* | grep ^i" ? ​root@kali:~# dpkg -l virtualbox* | grep ^i
    ii virtualbox-guest-dkms 5.2.4-dfsg-2 all x86 virtualization solution - guest addition module source for dkms
    ii virtualbox-guest-utils 5.2.4-dfsg-2 amd64 x86 virtualization solution - non-X11 guest utilities
    ii virtualbox-guest-x11 5.2.4-dfsg-2 amd64 x86 virtualization solution - X11 guest utilities

Have you tried upgrading the host to 5.2.4? Now on this version.
    Are you using the vbox image from the kali site or did you install the guest from scratch? Install from scratch (kali-linux-2017.3-amd64.iso)

I've just tested the latest Kali in vbox on OpenSuSE (5.2.4), Windows (5.1.30 & 5.2.4) and Ubuntu (5.1.30) and they all work flawlessly.
    Don't worry, we'll get you your full screen back in no time :-)

Thank you so much for your assistance! I responded in-line.

Actually, after the latest update, it is working. I'm sorry. Thank you!