Thread: Do I NEED the following phones in order to have NetHunter on a phone?

Do I NEED the following phones in order to have NetHunter on a phone?

https://www.offensive-security.com/k...nter-download/

As far as I'm aware the Nexus line up of phones have all but been discontinued (is the pixel series the successor?)

The latest phones released are the 5x and 6p which released simultaneously in 2015 and nothing else has come out since for the Nexus series of phones. Unless NetHunter can be installed on a more currently released device then I guess I'll have to track down a Nexus 5 in a decent condition.

Is the Samsung Galaxy S series out of the question?

Quote Originally Posted by RemixDeluxe View Post
    https://www.offensive-security.com/k...nter-download/

As far as I'm aware the Nexus line up of phones have all but been discontinued (is the pixel series the successor?)

The latest phones released are the 5x and 6p which released simultaneously in 2015 and nothing else has come out since for the Nexus series of phones. Unless NetHunter can be installed on a more currently released device then I guess I'll have to track down a Nexus 5 in a decent condition.

Is the Samsung Galaxy S series out of the question?
    Go to Googleplay store download LINUX DEPLOY app and install kali. Enjoy.

@bigbiz @amzker

That doesnt answer my question though. As I said before do you need the specific phones listed on offensive-security.com in order to have proper Nethunter support? I have nothing against the Nexus line of phones but they are discountined and would have to buy used from a craigslist ad and hope they work properly.

Hi RemixDeluxe,

No you don't.
    There are nightly builds available for a bigger range of devices.
    If none of those tickle your fancy then you can easily build an image for your preferred platform yourself.
    It's also worthwhile checking the xda forums for additional builds.

Hope that helps.

I decided to go with the Nexus 5x and I found a tutorial over at XDA to get it installed over there.

My last question for now is external network adapters for monitor scanning. Am I limited to the choices from the wiki or can I choose any adapter I want as long as it can be plugged with an OTG to USB adapter? What do you guys suggest for external network adapters?

I'd stick to that list.
    You need an adapter with a chipset that supports monitor mode and injection;
    next you need a driver that let's you access those modes;
    next you need a kernel that was compiled with that driver;
    next you still need some luck for all of that to actually work with your phone.
    The odds aren't in your favor so you're better off sticking with something that's proven to work.
    You can try alternative makes or models using the same chipsets as those in that list if you feel a little bit adventurous.

Hope that helps.

I've been trying to get Nethunter installed on my Nexus 5X and it hasn't been going well. The topic for Nethunter for Nexus 5X over at XDA is pretty abandoned and I don't know where else to ask for help. I'll copy paste the issue I've been having and I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

"I flashed 7.0.0 (NRD90S) then flashed (twrp-3.0.2-2-bullhead) and then flashed the (nethunter-bullhead-nougat-kalifs-full-20160928.zip) and after the installation it just boots to the No Command message. Any advice here on what I'm doing wrong? Is there any specific version of Nougat that works better with Nethunter than others?"

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nex...lhead-t3453134

First you have to flash Nethunter-Generic-armhf-full.zip,then you have to flash a modified Kernel for Monitor Mode ( if you want to use the Wireless-Tools) , if your Device and Android Version is not supported than you have to compile your Android Kernel for that. I did it for HTC m7,m8,10 and Nexus 10 . All of them are for LineageOS 14.1 (Andrid 7 Nougat ) and are avaiable to Download https://androidfilehost.com/?w=devic...68273298947160

Quote Originally Posted by darobbe View Post
    First you have to flash Nethunter-Generic-armhf-full.zip,then you have to flash a modified Kernel for Monitor Mode ( if you want to use the Wireless-Tools) , if your Device and Android Version is not supported than you have to compile your Android Kernel for that. I did it for HTC m7,m8,10 and Nexus 10 . All of them are for LineageOS 14.1 (Andrid 7 Nougat ) and are avaiable to Download https://androidfilehost.com/?w=devic...68273298947160
    The link you provided does not have files for Nexus 5X. Also if you look at the link I provided, Nethunter is already compiled for the Nexus 5X Nougat. The only thing I'm unsure of that isnt specified is what version of Nougat will work. I dont know if some versions are more compatible with others.