Thread: Missing Config.txt from /boot/ directory

Missing Config.txt from /boot/ directory

I have a brand new Raspberry Pi 3 with the 2017.3 distro installed, along with the full toolset on a 32GB SD card. My plan was to go in and modify the /boot/config.txt file so I can use VNC to control the Pi remotely from another computer. However, when I go to the /boot/ directory, there is nothing listed by the name of config.txt. Any thoughts?

Code:
    root@kali:/boot# ls
    COPYING.linux           bcm2708-rpi-b.dtb    bcm2710-rpi-cm3.dtb     bcm2835-rpi-b-rev2.dtb  bootcode.bin  fixup_db.dat  overlays      start_x.elf
    LICENCE.broadcom        bcm2708-rpi-cm.dtb   bcm2835-rpi-a-plus.dtb  bcm2835-rpi-b.dtb       cmdline.txt   fixup_x.dat   start.elf
    bcm2708-rpi-0-w.dtb     bcm2709-rpi-2-b.dtb  bcm2835-rpi-a.dtb       bcm2835-rpi-zero.dtb    fixup.dat     kernel.img    start_cd.elf
    bcm2708-rpi-b-plus.dtb  bcm2710-rpi-3-b.dtb  bcm2835-rpi-b-plus.dtb  bcm2836-rpi-2-b.dtb     fixup_cd.dat  kernel7.img   start_db.elf
    root@kali:/boot#

Hi Bedrock1977,

Out of the box there is no /boot/config.txt.
    The default installation of Kali uses standard settings and parameters and thus does not need the config.txt but you can create one if you need to deviate from the standard, load overlays, overclock, etc.

What exactly are you planning to do with the config.txt in order to use vnc?

Hello re4son,

Ok. I am testing some of the WiFi tools that only use GUIs. Where I have the Pi connected is in the closet with my routers, switches, and internet connection. It’s connected via Ethernet to a router. Needless to say I can’t stand in the closet to use the Pi, so I opted for VNC. While I have the VNC service running, and I connect with the VNC client, the desktop is about the size of a credit card on the monitor. I want it to be full size, taking up all the screens real estate. When I used Kali on Virtual Box, I would make sure guest additions were installed, and that gave me full resolution. I know Pi is different, so I opted to update config.txt with my monitors resolution, or at least something much larger and easier to work with.

So i can create a file using an editor such as Nano, and then save it where a I need to while the Pi is running?

The vnc server that comes with kali should not require changing the resolution in config.txt, at least on a Pi3.
    Did you use a third party vnc server?

Having said that, to create the file just use nano or any other editor, e.g. sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Edit: Just checked the defaults and I don't think the stock image comes with a vnc server pre-installed.
    You can install "tigervnc-standalone-server". That'll work nice with TigerVNC client on Windows and it'll give you full resolution:

Code:
    apt install tigervnc-standalone-server
    wget -O ~/.vnc/xstartup https://github.com/Re4son/vncservice/raw/master/xstartup
    chmod 755 ~/.vnc/xstartup
    Beware of the "$localhost" trap though:

https://whitedome.com.au/re4son/topic/vnc/
    Last edited by re4son; 2018-01-31 at 10:18.

config.txt
    [code]
    # For more options and information see
    # http://rpf.io/configtxtreadme
    # Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
    #hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
    # and your display can output without overscan
    disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
    # goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
    #overscan_left=16
    #overscan_right=16
    #overscan_top=16
    #overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
    # overscan.
    #framebuffer_width=1280
    #framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
    #hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
    #hdmi_group=1
    #hdmi_mode=1

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
    # DMT (computer monitor) modes
    #hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
    # no display
    #config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
    #sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
    #arm_freq=800

# Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces
    #dtparam=i2c_arm=on
    #dtparam=i2s=on
    #dtparam=spi=on

# Uncomment this to enable the lirc-rpi module
    #dtoverlay=lirc-rpi

# Additional overlays and parameters are documented /boot/overlays/README

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
    dtparam=audio=on
    [code]

I copied the Pixel_Raspian config.txt this fixed some of the issuses i encounter with kali on a Pi.