Thread: clean install, graphics display errors after login

Question clean install, graphics display errors after login

I am receiving some graphic issues after logging into my root account on a clean install of kali-linux-2018.4-amd64.iso

I do have dual booting though, so I'll just shortly explain what I did to give a better understanding of what could be wrong.
    And I also receive some error messages when launching Kali Linux, and I am quite unsure of what they mean exactly, I hope you could help me out with that too.

So what I did was taking my 250GB SDD drive C:\ with Windows 10 on it and I shrinked 40 GB from it and I took my USB pen and burned the image file onto it using Win32DiskImager and I restarted my computer booting the USB and installed the OS choosing the 40 GB and choosing the option to automagically setup the partitions in the unallocated space on the drive.
    I noticed that it did install bootloader and checked if there was other operating systems installed, but it never asked me if I wanted to use the master boot record or not.
    It restarted just fine, but it booted directly into Windows 10, no questions asked, so I figure where is the options? I restart the computer holding down SHIFT key booting into WinRE tools selecting the option to pick which device to boot from, and I see 'kali' which I also entered in the hostname field during installation, so I clicked on it and it booted into gnu grub 2 where I picked to boot into kali linux and here are there first errors that were shown
    1.jpg
    and the screen flashes and these are the other errors shown
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    finally I am met with the login screen
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    I login and boom graphics errors in top left corner, everything else is black

Screenshot_3.jpg

And if I don't log in and press CTRL + ALT + F2 or F1 I can switch to console where I can see login as root and password beneath the graphics error displaying, but upon logging in, I believe the computer freezes.

I am clueless, after several attempts to reinstall the operating system using different methods of burning iso to usb, looking for similar threads, but no fix found.
    One thing I did notice that using Rufus, Universal USB Installer, and others, makes 1 partition I can enter the USB drive in explorer and see all the os installation files, but Win32DiskImager breaks the usb up in two partitions, one I can access which holds the following files:
    boot
    -grub
    -grub.cfg
    EFI
    -boot
    -bootia32.efi
    -bootx64.efi

and the other partition I am not able to access, which makes me wonder; how can this usb finish installation, whilst the others can not?

Anyway I hope you guys can help me, I really want to dual boot with kali linux, instead of using virtualization methods.

When you post screenshots, I'd recommend putting larger pictures, it's unreadable. Have you googled the errors?

Before you install, get into a console and get the output of lspci.

Another thing you may try is the latest weekly ISO.

If you placed the boot command to your kali partition you wont have to install it

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?41542-can-t-install-kali-2018-without-internet-connection
    Last edited by bigbiz; 2019-01-13 at 01:47. Reason: Added link

Thank you, didn't work, however I managed to get the error fixed by using a third USB pen ! Seems that the first two were corrupted in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by MatiasMunk View Post
    Thank you, didn't work, however I managed to get the error fixed by using a third USB pen ! Seems that the first two were corrupted in some way.

I finally found my same exact issue! So you just bought a new usb drive and tried a new fresh install? Never thought of that. Are you dual booting the set up? Thanks.