Thread: Macintosh USB boot trouble

Macintosh USB boot trouble

I'm trying to make a bootable USB distribution of Kali with persistence to run on a MacBook Pro with OSX 10.7.5 aka Lion.

I've tried Penguintosh and an ISO image I downloaded from the Kali site, but Penguintosh hangs at Step4.

Has anyone gotten Kali to boot on a Mac via a USB stick? If so, how did you do it?
    Last edited by baboonia; 2013-05-06 at 15:09.

I used win32 disk imager and imaged the ISO to my thumb drive, then just rebooted and held option key and it booted right up.

Not sure what would happen if I tried to partition the actual drive though in my mac, I'm assuming it would fail, but maybe not.

I have a 13" MBP retina.

Quote Originally Posted by baboonia View Post
    I'm trying to make a bootable USB distribution of Kali with persistence to run on a MacBook Pro with OSX 10.7.5 aka Lion.

I've tried Penguintosh and an ISO image I downloaded from the Kali site, but Penguintosh hangs at Step4.

Has anyone gotten Kali to boot on a Mac via a USB stick? If so, how did you do it?
    Refer to the wiki..Only 2 methods: dd command and win32 disk imager..Try dd command.

dd failed twice for me in Snow Leopard. Just for reference I'd use the disk imager.

well, why not use a windows or linux machine from a friend and try.

Or use a dvd live linux distro, mount the USB stick and the partition where you downloaded the ISO and use dd command to copy ISO.

Luck.