Thread: Install insists on RAID, don't want

Install insists on RAID, don't want

Hi -- I'm trying to install Kali Linux on my lenovo flex 2-15. I'm NOT trying to dual boot, rather just trying to make a clean install on the hard drive. Right now it is supposed to have a dual boot with Win8 and Mint Linux, but the grub boot loader seems to have a problem and I can only get in to Mint. When I try to make an install of Kali, it seems intent on configuring my hard drive as a software raid, which is just silly with only one hard drive. I tried to get it not to do this, but that screwed up the install process altogether. So I grudgingly just accepted the defaults. But then there was trouble with the grub boot loader. I found a work around in this forum, and attempted to use it, but it failed complaining about an 'uknown device type: raid device'. It seems like the simplest thing would be to just install without RAID, as I wanted initially.

Will the manual install process allow this? Should I try that? I haven't wanted to waste more time on this without knowing I'm heading in the right direction.

During install the Kali installer finds an SSD drive that I didn't know was there. It doesn't show up in the BIOS, which seems weird. I wonder if this is the cause of the problem?

My machine is a Lenovo Flex 2-15 with
    Intel I5-420U
    6GB RAM
    500GB Seagate hard drive
    DVD
    And apparently an SSD with, if I recall correctly from the kali install process, about 200 GB

Thanks in advance

Could you show a screenshot of the exact thing that made you say it insists on RAID?

Hi -- Sorry about the delay, I had a number of things come up. The following are a pair of screen shots for the install process. I tried doing a fresh install, this time using manual control. The process once again defaults to a RAID configuration, which I definitely don't want. In the setup partitions menus I got the following screens...

Thanks in advance for any help you may have...

Mike

PartitionPagesA1.jpg
    PartitionPagesB1.jpg

Doesn't look like you MUST to go that route. You can change that.

I have seen some BIOSs that had disk options set to RAID even if it did not have one. Might check the BIOS settings.