Thread: Install fails because 4.14.0 kernel on installation disk won't boot

Question Install fails because 4.14.0 kernel on installation disk won't boot

When I boot off of the usb stick, the linux load command succeeds, the initrdef load command succeeds and the implied boot command seems to succeed, but the boot hangs before the black console screen comes up. This is a problem with the 4.14.0 kernel, but not with the 4.12.0 kernel. Something in the configuration changed between 4.12.0 and 4.14.0 that confounds my system. The same boot stick works ok with other intel ia64 systems. Are there any suggestions for boot options that I might try that would either collect more debug data or alleviate the problem. My system that fails is a Microsoft Surface Book with GPU.

03/07/2018:
    I installed the 4.14.0 kernel in my boot directory and managed to get it to produce the following diagnostic after 3 other ACPI messages that were also produce by the 4.12.0 kernel when it booted successfully. The messages are:

<timestamp> ACPI-Exception: Could not find/resolve named package element: SKC
    1 (20170728/dspkginit-381)
    <timestamp> ACPI-Exception: Could not find/resolve named package element: SKC
    2 (20170728/dspkginit-381)

Is this condition part of Kali code in the kernel - it does not appear to be in the stock linux system.
    Thanks
    Last edited by woa46000; 2018-03-08 at 04:18. Reason: Found new message.

Are you sure you're not thinking about AMD64 because ia64 is something entirely different and not ver common anymore at all: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IA-64

What is the error message?

I don't have a surface book, but somehow I seem to remember it having secure boot enabled, which would prevent Kali from booting.
    Want to learn to use the Kali Linux operating system? Check out the free Kali book and course at https://kali.training

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_X View Post
    Are you sure you're not thinking about AMD64 because ia64 is something entirely different and not ver common anymore at all: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IA-64

What is the error message?
    You are right - it is amd64. There is no error message, it just hangs before the console comes up.