Thread: Mouse/keyboard not working properly

Mouse/keyboard not working properly

Laptop: MacbookPro retina 13" early 2015
    Keyboard: A1243
    Mouse: M/N:N910U
    USB: PNY16GB
    Kali: 2018.1-amd64.iso

I've been having the recent problem of my keyboard/mouse, hardware or external, not functioning whatsoever after entering persistence mode in Kali.

The steps taken to reproduce the issue are simple.

with or without keyboard/mouse plugged in:

Code:
    apt-get update 
    reboot -h now

normal functionality

with keyboard/mouse plugged in, or even after unplugging keyboard/mouse before executing reboot:

Code:
    apt-get upgrade
    reboot -h now
    unable to use either hardware trackpad/keyboard or external mouse/keyboard

Which logs can I grab off of the persistence partition to post here?
    I'm at a loss of what could be causing this.

Hi, Im just curious if you recently did apt-get update on your system or it just did not work after installation?

I ask this because, I just updated after waiting 6 hours and restarted, then my usb keyboard and mouse no longer responds now and I am so lost as to what to do.

Your problem sounds undoubtedly different but perhaps related to the same problem. When I have time I'll post a couple links you may be able to try.

I've been using the mouse & keyboard fine since last post only because I have not performed
    Code:
    apt-get upgrade
    Performing
    Code:
    apt-get update
    doesn't negatively impact my system use whatsoever.

I've isolated it solely to the upgrade, so I'll have to look into what exactly is breaking it.

Could just be the synaptics packages or something so maybe leaving out their headers would work.

I can't speak for your situation with certainty, sorry.

I have the same problem using a regular pc. After upgrade and reboot mouse and keyboard doesnt work.

I'm getting the same thing running Kali Persistence on a MacBook Air - after upgrading, next login the keyboard/mouse/touchpad do not function.

I saw on another forum someone recommended re-installing the kernel headers:

apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

---but that didn't prevent the failure from re-occurring.

I logged into Kali Live (w/o persistence), navigated to the persistence partition, then examined /media/root/persistence/rw/var/log/kern.log

The failure appears right after mounting the file system. After mounting, nothing follows but errors (copying a few but there are hundreds):

Mar 4 10:16:40 localhost kernel: [ 10.897791] EXT4-fs (sdb3): mounting ext3 file system using the ext4 subsystem
    Mar 4 10:16:40 localhost kernel: [ 11.435012] EXT4-fs (sdb3): recovery complete
    Mar 4 10:16:40 localhost kernel: [ 11.439311] EXT4-fs (sdb3): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
    Mar 4 10:16:40 localhost kernel: [ 11.566586] random: crng init done
    Mar 4 10:16:40 localhost kernel: [ 12.916032] autofs4: Unknown symbol __x86_indirect_thunk_rax (err 0)
    Mar 4 10:16:40 localhost kernel: [ 12.919307] autofs4: Unknown symbol __x86_indirect_thunk_r12 (err 0)
    Mar 4 10:16:40 localhost kernel: [ 12.954987] x_tables: Unknown symbol __x86_indirect_thunk_rax (err 0)
    Mar 4 10:16:40 localhost kernel: [ 14.776624] acpi_cpufreq: Unknown symbol __x86_indirect_thunk_rax (err 0)
    Mar 4 10:16:40 localhost kernel: [ 14.800123] acpi_cpufreq: Unknown symbol __x86_indirect_thunk_rax (err 0)
    Mar 4 10:16:40 localhost kernel: [ 14.824121] acpi_cpufreq: Unknown symbol __x86_indirect_thunk_rax (err 0)
    Mar 4 10:16:40 localhost kernel: [ 14.844147] soundcore: Unknown symbol __x86_indirect_thunk_rax (err 0)
    Mar 4 10:16:40 localhost kernel: [ 14.844159] acpi_cpufreq: Unknown symbol __x86_indirect_thunk_rax (err 0)

I'm at a loss on how to go any deeper troubleshooting this. Can anyone lend a hand?

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade worked for me.

I'm getting the same error, after run apt-get update and apt-get upgrade on my usb persistent kali (lenovo x1).
    Kali live works, but in persistent mode kali is frozen.

Someone have a solution?

Hi,
    the same problem
    Kali linux 20.18.1 amd64 and X32 after #apt update -y && apt upgrade -y , the mouse and keyboard dont works!
    tnx for help.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbiz View Post
    apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade worked for me.
    Yeah, I tried apt full-upgrade which is functionally identical to that one... same problem.

Anyone happen to find a fix for this yet?

Just happened to me also.
    Fresh 2018.1 image on USB in Persistence, everything was working fine, rebooted to check persistence, all good, but then;
    ran:
    apt-update && apt-upgrade
    and after waiting a few hours until it finished, I restarted my PC and now it's just frozen on the desktop, it's either frozen or both keyboard and mouse don't work.

Any ideas?
    thanks

Hello,

I have the same issue with an XPS Laptop.

The issue is related to the Kernel image. It can be reproduced by installing only the package "linux-image-4.14.0-kali3-amd64" (upgrade to 4.14.17-1kali1).

I tried including the linux-header package without success either (due to the unknown symbol error).

I marked the package with apt-mark (apt-mark hold linux-image-4.14.0-kali3-amd64) and it's shown as "held back".

After the full upgrade process the system is working (both keyboard and mouse). Only the kernel was held back.

PS: Previous message was waiting for moderation just in case it gets duplicated

This was happenong to me too. With apt-get upgrade
    I changed it to apt-get dist-upgrade
    This has worked numerios times

Thanks to commenter rpereyra, I also used

apt-mark hold linux-image-4.14.0-kali3-amd64

...and am pleased to report my apt full-upgrade completed without the mouse/keyboard problem.

So, I'm pretty stoked that I can get all those packages upgraded from the base install and can simply wait for another kernel push from the Kali enterprise if this particular issue isn't resolved before then.

Again, greatly appreciate the help!

Mouse and keyborad works fine ...

Desktop Lenovo H50-50
    kali 2018.1 amd64

# apt-get update
    # apt-mark hold linux-image-4.14.0-kali3-amd64
    # apt-get full-upgrade

Mouse and keyboard retun back.
    tnx for help.

hello everybody,

same problem here, on a MacbookPro retina 13" early 2015 too.

everything works after installation, then apt update and apt upgrade and no input devices anymore.

got a question for those suggesting solutions: how can you recover your systems? or are these solutions only working after reinstalling kali on the persistence partition?

I attempted a few recover attempts by booting in non-persistent way, mounting my luks encrypted persistence partition, and chrooting into it, but commands like apt are unfortunately not available, (they are in the live portion of the distribution, so if you chroot on the persistent portion you lose them).

do you have a pointer on how to use these apt-mark commands, or reinstalling and issuing these commands before the fatal apt upgrade is the only option?

thanks a lot

USB Live Persistence - Dell Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by cityhunt View Post
    hello everybody,

same problem here, on a MacbookPro retina 13" early 2015 too.

everything works after installation, then apt update and apt upgrade and no input devices anymore.

got a question for those suggesting solutions: how can you recover your systems? or are these solutions only working after reinstalling kali on the persistence partition?

I attempted a few recover attempts by booting in non-persistent way, mounting my luks encrypted persistence partition, and chrooting into it, but commands like apt are unfortunately not available, (they are in the live portion of the distribution, so if you chroot on the persistent portion you lose them).

do you have a pointer on how to use these apt-mark commands, or reinstalling and issuing these commands before the fatal apt upgrade is the only option?

thanks a lot
    I'm in the same boat. Does anyone have a fix that's doesn't require reinstalling Kali to fix this? I can access the files from Live, is there a way I can change a config file or delete something to fix this? Or maybe download or create a file? I would really rather fix this without having to reinstall everything.

Hello same problem here .
    My kali 2018.1 live version working fine but after update && upgrade ,at the persistence version the system after logging just comes to the desktop screen and freezes . no mouse , no keyboard work .....

met the same problem...