Thread: Kali Freezing After Boot Sequence

Kali Freezing After Boot Sequence

Presently having issues booting Kali after updating my OS on Sunday. I’m using a Persistent Bootable USB with Kali on it, but after the OS update only the cold copy works. My persistence now is freezing every single time the login UI opens after the boot sequence.

I tried:
    -Accessing tty during boot. It freezes as well and I can’t apt update or anything.
    -Enabling automatic login in daemon.conf so that the login UI would not open. It’ll log me in but then freezes on my desktop.
    -I wiped my copy of Kali and completely reinstalled from scratch twice. It is currently at the version that comes with the iso after my second wipe and reinstall. Dist-upgrading on the first wipe created the issue again and I had done nothing else at that point.

Any ideas to fix so I can dist-upgrade without having everything break?

No visible errors thrown.
    Last edited by Abyssus; 2018-02-27 at 18:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Abyssus View Post
    Presently having issues booting Kali after updating my OS on Sunday. I’m using a Persistent Bootable USB with Kali on it, but after the OS update only the cold copy works. My persistence now is freezing every single time the login UI opens after the boot sequence.

I tried:
    -Accessing tty during boot. It freezes as well and I can’t apt update or anything.
    -Enabling automatic login in daemon.conf so that the login UI would not open. It’ll log me in but then freezes on my desktop.
    -I wiped my copy of Kali and completely reinstalled from scratch twice. It is currently at the version that comes with the iso after my second wipe and reinstall. Dist-upgrading on the first wipe created the issue again and I had done nothing else at that point.

Any ideas to fix so I can dist-upgrade without having everything break?

No visible errors thrown.

Any luck on this? I'm having the exact same issue. I'm using persistence with encryption. When I boot with persistence everything is frozen at the desktop. When I boot live without persistence, everything works fine.

did any of you, try installing the cuda toolkit and nvidia driver by any chance? when i was using a usb with persistence i was having that problem.
    everything turned out fine when i install kali into a HDD. just a thought.

Has anyone found the solution?

Just had this same problem in my virtualized environment (VirtualBox). Currently reinstalling and updating from scratch, without any specific guest additions.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorcookie View Post
    Any luck on this? I'm having the exact same issue. I'm using persistence with encryption. When I boot with persistence everything is frozen at the desktop. When I boot live without persistence, everything works fine.

I am using the new kali 2018.1 . And when i do the following
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade

the persistence does not work any more on the next login .
    The mouse , keyboard freezes.
    but the usb live mood works fine without update && upgrade ....

even the next time after deleting the persistence and again creating a new persistence , i tried
    apt-mark hold linux-image-4.14.0-kali3-amd64
    but is shows "dpkg: error dpkg status database is locked by another process"

and even when i tried
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    its says E:could not lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11; Resource temporarily unavailable )

It is such a sad news that from about last 1 month this problem exists but the kali team why not taking any action to solve this ????
    Without update && upgrade the usage of kali is quite incomplete ......