Thread: Issue after installing NVIDIA Drivers

Issue after installing NVIDIA Drivers

Hi guys,

I have issues with my installation after I installed the Cuda NVIDIA Drivers.

Running a MSI GP60 Leopard Laptop with the following specs:
    CPU: i5 - 4200H 2.8GHz 2 Core 4 Threads
    RAM: Valueselect 8 gb DDR3 - 2400 MHz
    GPU: NVIDIA 840M 2 gb dedicated GPU with an Integrated Intel HD 4600
    HDD: 1 TB SATA Drive

Kali runs perfectly and followed the guide on the kali website regarding the installation of the system via dual boot (have windows 10 and kali now installed) did the apt updates, upgrades and dist-upgrades.

Following the guide to setup the nvidia drivers after the reboot the system hangs on a black screen with the following and does not proceed any further.

Errors as follows:
    ACPI Error: No handler for Region [EC__] (ffff8dfb671413f0) [EmbeddedControl] (20170728/evregion-166)
    ACPI Error: Region EmbeddedControl (ID=3) has no handler (20172728/exfldio-299)
    ACPI Error: Method parase/execution failed \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC._REG, AE_NOT_EXIST (20170728/psparse-5364)
    ACPI Error: [\SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.DD0 2._BCL, AE_NOT_FOUND (20170728/psparse-550)

I have reinstalled mutiple times and got the same error. Is it possible due to the fact that I select the region as South Africa that I get the ACPI no handler for region error?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    JackalR

Hey Jackal,

This may or may not help, hopefully it does, but I had basically the same issue with my GE62 last weekend. The moment I installed the nvidia drivers/toolkit and rebooted it would just hang on a screen with acpi errors.
    https://thehacktoday.com/installing-...in-kali-linux/

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by JackalR View Post
    Hi guys,

I have issues with my installation after I installed the Cuda NVIDIA Drivers.

Running a MSI GP60 Leopard Laptop with the following specs:
    CPU: i5 - 4200H 2.8GHz 2 Core 4 Threads
    RAM: Valueselect 8 gb DDR3 - 2400 MHz
    GPU: NVIDIA 840M 2 gb dedicated GPU with an Integrated Intel HD 4600
    HDD: 1 TB SATA Drive

Kali runs perfectly and followed the guide on the kali website regarding the installation of the system via dual boot (have windows 10 and kali now installed) did the apt updates, upgrades and dist-upgrades.

Following the guide to setup the nvidia drivers after the reboot the system hangs on a black screen with the following and does not proceed any further.

Errors as follows:
    ACPI Error: No handler for Region [EC__] (ffff8dfb671413f0) [EmbeddedControl] (20170728/evregion-166)
    ACPI Error: Region EmbeddedControl (ID=3) has no handler (20172728/exfldio-299)
    ACPI Error: Method parase/execution failed \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC._REG, AE_NOT_EXIST (20170728/psparse-5364)
    ACPI Error: [\SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.DD0 2._BCL, AE_NOT_FOUND (20170728/psparse-550)

I have reinstalled mutiple times and got the same error. Is it possible due to the fact that I select the region as South Africa that I get the ACPI no handler for region error?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    JackalR

Quote Originally Posted by TheDutch1 View Post
    Hey Jackal,

This may or may not help, hopefully it does, but I had basically the same issue with my GE62 last weekend. The moment I installed the nvidia drivers/toolkit and rebooted it would just hang on a screen with acpi errors.
    https://thehacktoday.com/installing-...in-kali-linux/

Good luck
    Thanks, busy with another clean installation and will see if it helps

Many Thanks

No problem, curious did you have any luck?

Still no luck. I either get a blank screen after doing the optimus.desktop files and need to remove the files and remove the previous steps work or once it went further and then I install the cuda toolkit and get the same errors as the original post. Seems I have a dud machine. Not sure if it helps to mention but I am using the 2018.1 release

I had the same problem when i installed nvidia driver and and cuda toolkit, what my problem was i was installing into a usb drive with persistence. I was told to try and install kali onto a hard drive, and presto, all good.
    You might wish to search these forums for hybrid graphics.That could be your problem too.

Hi all eventually came right. After a clean installation I left it for a few hours to do its own updates, installed them then did the rest (apt upgrades and whatnot) followed @TheDutch1 thread and now it is using the dedicated GPU for rendering and whatnot. Now the next issue I am running into is after installing the cuda toolkit, pyrit and cpyrit to actually use the GPU everytime I use the pyrit list_cores command it only picks up the cpu cores and not the GPU for processing. After some research I've found that one fix is to downgrade GCC and G++ to version 4.9 but I dont have the faintest idea as to how to do that.