Thread: Please update inetsim in Kali repo to 1.2.7. Current version (1.2.5) is incompatible with Perl

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Please update inetsim in Kali repo to 1.2.7. Current version (1.2.5) is incompatible with Perl

Not sure if this is the right place to post this as it's not a question. But the latest version of inetsim in the Kali repository (1.2.5) is incompatible with the latest version of Perl in the Kali repository (5.26.1). It throws an error when trying to launch the DNS service that says "Insecure dependency in socket while running with -T switch at /usr/lib/perl/5.26/IO/Socket.pm line 80". This issue can be resolved by manually downloading inetsim 1.2.7 from http://www.inetsim.org/packages.html and installing with dpkg -i inetsim_1.2.7-1_all.deb. Thanks for your attention.

If it isn't a debian package (can be checked using apt-cache show PACKAGENAME and look at the maintainer), then open an issue on https://bugs.kali.org with details

It is a Debian package, but it's not the Kali repository.

It looks like this has been addressed, thanks, but now there's an error when running apt-get upgrade or dist-upgrade and installing the new inetsim package. It throws an error saying it can't open /usr/share/inetsim/data/certs/default_key.pem for reading. I solved this by just deleting that file and the associated cert.

But, I mean...how did this not get caught during testing? On the VM I just tried this on and ran into the error, I had never run inetsim. These files are part of the default install. This is not an edge case.

Thanks for the post Cryptomancer. Solved the issue immediately.

In regards to the permission issue with /var/lib/inetsim/certs/default_key.pem I noticed only root had RW.

Fixed with the following:

Code:
    sudo chmod 544 /var/lib/inetsim/certs/*