Thread: Cannot create bootable usb, remains readable

Cannot create bootable usb, remains readable

On windows 10, i downloaded the kali 64 bit amd64 iso from the official website. I tried using rufus, and then universal usb installer to create a bootable usb. I followed the instructions specific to each program, but both resulted in the same mistake.

Instead of making the usb unreadable and bootable, like its supposed to be, it simply installs a bunch of files to the usb, including a setup file. I havent tried the setup file because in every tutorial ive seen, the usb is prepared after simply using the rufus or uui programs. Im worried the setup file might install kali over windows on my laptop, but im trying to dual boot.

Is there any other programs i should try? Or should i redownload the kali ISO? Or should i run the setup file? Please help me figure out how to make a bootable live kali drive in windows 10.

Hi, i am not that adept neither at linux nor at english and i don't 100% get what you are saying, but i'd be glad to try to help you.

It's been a while since i used universal usb installer, so i'll guide you about rufus.
    Just open it, and choose image file, clicking on the "click to select an image.." button, next to "create a bootable disk using" option.
    Choose your desired usb device and you should be ready to go.

Reboot and press the boot option menu key, that is F6 or F8 or F11, depending on your mobo. Select the formatted usb and you can then select to install linux permanently or load a live persistence version etc.

You can choose your version of kali, here . Choose 32-bit or 64-bit, accordingly.

You should be able to boot to windows 10 normally, or boot your usb ,via the boot option menu key at startup and run a linux live.

I got it to work. The solution was just to create the usb with power iso instead of rufus.

I am pretty sure you could have created it with rufus or universal usb installer.
    Anyway, cheers.

Just in case anybody else is reading this, there is a tutorial on https://kali.org about creating a bootable USB: https://docs.kali.org/downloading/ka...ve-usb-install