Thread: Black screen with moving mouse

Black screen with moving mouse

I just booted kali linux 2018.1 and everything was successful and the log in screen came. I entered username as root and my password. Then a black screen comes with a moving mouse. I can click and drag which shows the blue selecting rectangle like in windows. Right clicking shows option like terminal new folder etc. I can create new folders which just stays a folder icon on the black screen. Also I can enter the settings and all. But I can't see my wallpaper or any applications. The normal GUI startup screen doesn't come.. Just a black screen!
    Help please ASAP!

Does this behavior happen when running Kali live? That is, when you run directly from DVD or USB.

No it doesn't. It works fine in the live mode using USB. Any idea what's going on? I checked the checksum to see if it's tampered with but that's verified too!

Odd that it's just after install. Feels like a video driver problem, but if that were the case, I'd think you'd see it in live mode.

On what hardware are you running?

A few times when booting the latest live Kali I have seen this. Lasts a few minutes then eventually completes the boot. May be a rendering issue.

Dell Inspiron 13 5378 is my lap with i5 7th Gen, 8gb ram, 1tb HDD. Dual booting with windows 10 home.
    So this is not a common issue? Should I reinstall the kali 2018.1 or rollback to an older version like 17.2 or 17. 3?

I don't have any problem running the live Kali. It's after installation. There's no screenshot option here I guess cuz I can't see any but if I'm wrong do say n I'll attach it
    Last edited by darkit; 2018-03-23 at 18:45. Reason: Merging posts

T'were me I'd just leave it for about 15 minutes and see if anything happens.

Thank you for replying. I solved the problem though.. I had installed 2017.3 before n it was on the disk. So I guess both of it clashed. I formatted the disks again n tried n voila!