Thread: How to Install a Full Version of Kali Linux on a USB drive from a LIVE USB drive.

How to Install a Full Version of Kali Linux on a USB drive from a LIVE USB drive.

I have been pulling my hair out trying to find a way of installing a FULL VERSION of Kali Linux from a LIVE USB drive onto another USB drive. After ten hours of research, on the net, all I have accomplished is to review fifty different ways of creating a boot able LIVE USB drive. I am not adept enough to use Virtual Box (if necessary). I am learning Linux and have installed Peppermint on many computers and USB drives without this problem. Actually, WHY IS THIS A PROBLEM???

Thanks in advance for any assistance that may be forthcoming.

GEMS.

The exact same way you would on a hard drive.

Your response does not help me. If I use a LIVE USB with Kali Linux it defaults to using the CD Drive. Is it possible to use a USB drive to install the full version onto another USB drive?

Quote Originally Posted by GEMS View Post
    Your response does not help me. If I use a LIVE USB with Kali Linux it defaults to using the CD Drive. Is it possible to use a USB drive to install the full version onto another USB drive?
    The linux os CLONEZILLA will do this, will be a learnin curve.

bigbiz,

Thanks for the response. Will CLONEZILLA allow me to take the Kali ISO file and install it to a USB and be boot able? Or, should I clone from the Kali DVD I just made; to a USB. Thanks for your quick response.

As a aside; I was not trying to disrespect Mr_X. His response was of no value to me.

GEMS.

As a aside; I was not trying to disrespect Mr_X. His response was of no value to me.
    His answer is actually pretty much straight forward. There is nothing extra-ordinary if you want to install kali on a USB. It's the same way as you would install it on a hard drive.

Just boot the installer. Plug another USB and when the installer will ask you where do you want to install it select the partition of your USB drive.

Thanks for your response. Last night I burned the Kali ISO onto a DVD and tried to install the Full Version. I thought (sic) I had accomplished installing the OS on the USB drive; BUT, when I tried to boot from the USB it just sat there and blinked the cursor at me. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

GEMS.

when I tried to boot from the USB it just sat there and blinked the cursor at me.
    Sounds like UEFI-/BIOS-Voodoo. What Hardware do you use? Is it UEFI 64-bit only?

bigbiz,

Thanks for the response. Will CLONEZILLA allow me to take the Kali ISO file and install it to a USB and be boot able? Or, should I clone from the Kali DVD I just made; to a USB. Thanks for your quick response.

GEMS.
    Bootable yes. Copies everything kernel ect.

Have not run into this but some distros are particular about how the USB is formatted, usually FAT-32 for live and NTFS to install.

Thanks for the responses. After reading other posts in this forum; I think that when I tell the system that I do not want to have it alter the MBR for dual booting it fails to install the GRUB onto the USB drive. The question is what are the commands to insert, after clicking on a manual install, to have the DVD install GRUB onto the USB drive?

> To the other respondent > Mstrmnn > The laptop is 64 bit and capable of UEFI.

When you install kali, GRUB will be automatically installed in the later steps.

The problem you are describing with booting kali sounds like a problem with incompatibility with your graphic card. Do you reach grub menu?

Have something similar going on. Have a 64 bit Chromebook with 32GB SSD and a 64GB 3.0 flash. Boots Kali live from a 4GB flash. Can boot live NP. This time at menu tell it to INSTALL and select the 64GB flash. After basic install it asks about GRUB. I tell it to put it on the 64GB and not the internal drive. Completes without error.

Still boots ChromeOS and Kali live normally but when I select the 64GB drive nothing happens. Screen just stays on last display. Windows does not find the drive bootable. Is in enhanced developer mode

Use Disk Manager and finds a little partition and a big partition, neither is marked as boot.

Any ideas ?

Senior Member,

No. I do not reach the GRUB menu. What I did do was follow another Jr. Member's advice and selected Manual and then provided the path to the USB drive and it booted.

GEMS.

This is very strange. I had tried installing the bootloader (GRUB) manually before, selected the flash drive from the menu, and it did not work. This time I entered the device name manually instead of selecting from the menu and it worked. I now have 2018- W12 running properly on an Acer CB3 Chromebook from a 64GB Flash while keeping the ChromeOS intact on the EMMC.

It does require developer mode and MrChromebox option 1 but now can select boot from Chrome, Live, and a full install.

Have thought for some time that devices with 32GB SSDs made more sense with Linux than trying to run Windows 10-64

Trouble booting

Thanks for your response. Last night I burned the Kali ISO onto a DVD and tried to install the Full Version. I thought (sic) I had accomplished installing the OS on the USB drive; BUT, when I tried to boot from the USB it just sat there and blinked the cursor at me. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

GEMS.
    GEMS. I have exaclty the same problem. How did you fixed it?

When i encounter this problem it means my usb thumbdrive is dead. So it must have been something you did. Try to copy with program within Windows (but i understand you use MACos?!) Imageburn this program will also copy all from one to another
    WARNING: if you have booted into the live usb and tried to copy the iso of the live usb that you have booted into you could run into problems.

GEMS, no disrespect, but to a computer, a USB flashdrive and USB HDD are no different. And since you can install Kali on a HDD (USB or internal) just fine, think of your thumbdrive as a HDD.

Plug the USB installer into the computer you are installing Kali on. When booting the computer, repeatedly press the trigger key to enter the boot option menu (usually F12), and select the USB drive. You will then see the Unetbootin bootloader menu. Select the Live Boot option for Kali Linux.
    Tutuapp 9apps Showbox
    Last edited by kingbily; 2019-02-15 at 23:07. Reason: usb step

So as Mister_X says - USB flashdrive and USB HDD are no different ...

I made a bootable DVD disk and then made full install of KALI to USB flashdrive, but when I try to boot it, it just sits there and blinks.. as GEMS said. I have the GRUB installed on the flashdrive too.

How to fix that??

To bigbiz ...

My USB flashdrive is working. Cause I tried that twice, and after format USB works as usual and not dead.

To kingbily ...

We want full install on Kali on USB and not booting Live Kali with USB persistence.