Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install Kali Linux to Hard Disk

How to install Kali Linux to Hard Disk

Installing Kali Linux on your computer is an easy process. First you’ll need compatible computer hardware. Kali is supported on i386, amd64, and ARM (both armel and armhf) platforms. The hardware requirements are minimal as listed below, though better hardware will naturally provide better performance. The i386 images have a default PAE kernel, so you can run them on systems with over 4GB of RAM. Download Kali Linux and either burn the ISO to DVD, or prepare a USB stick with Kali Linux Live as the installation medium. If you do not have a DVD drive or USB port on your computer, check out the Kali Linux Network Install.

To read the full document, check our Installing Kali Linux to Hard Drive article.

If you have any issues with this procedure, please post them in this thread.

Hi ! My error while loading shows : GTK Warning unable to open display :0 also higher " Check Xorg.log)"
    I'm unable to do anything , error keeps re-spawning

after installing amd 64 in my hp pavilion using a live dvd, total failure trying to log in . kali wont grant me access.. im prompted with" authentication failure" any tips from the pros? everything goes smooth up until I have to log in **fix** reinstall and use kali as host ,root as user, toor as password. after install you can change the host name .. there's a tutorial on youtube with terminal commands as well ..
    Last edited by milehighinterceptor; 2013-04-17 at 04:56 PM.

Code:
    im prompted with" authentication failure" any tips from the pros?
    I am having the same problem. I managed to get Kali installed, but now I am unable to login, it keeps saying "authentication failure" and yes, I have checked my password and username is also correct.

same problem here, been trying for a while now and can't get in..... just installed Kali btw.
    Last edited by r3d; 2013-05-25 at 08:45 PM.

got it now all you have to do is log in: root password: the one you made on the intallation progress

Downloaded kali-linux-1.0.2-i386.torrent and mounted ISO on a virtual drive.

Followed directions on http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...d-disk-install to install Kali on VirtualBox running on Windows 7. When I try to boot in regular mode I get the Kali splash screen and then the error:

Oh no! Something has gone wrong.
    A problem has occurred and the system can't recover. Please contact a system administrator.

I can boot in recovery mode, but I'm unsure what I should try next.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kevin

I have a netbook (EeePC 1000HE) and a Q6600 Desktop. I ave tried installing x86 and x64 versions. I have used both the Mini.iso as well as Gnome/KDE versions of 1.0.1, 1.0.2, etc. I have tried almost every conceivable configuration, including manual partitioning, guided partitioning, both with and without encryption. It seems as though no matter what I do, I always get the same result. "Failed to Install the System". I get all the way through all the partitioning. I have tried graphical installation as well as text.

I have read that there is a bug that Kali doesn't like a separate /home partition, and it will result in this error. But I get the error regardless of my partition scheme.

Does anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong?

I am having this same problem also installing on a Dell inspiron Mini .. I tested first using the Live usb and everything worked great so i decidded to install.
    i use the full disk and durring "install the system" i get error " Installation step failed adn installation setp failed. You can try to run the failing item again from
    the menu, or skip it and choose somthinhg else. The failing set is : install the system." I have tried this 5 times using the gnome ISO and mini. No luck.
    I would hate to always have to use the usb in live mode all the time.

Fixed problem by doubling the HD size to 16 Gb.