Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to install Kali Linux to Hard Disk

FWIW, I also tried installing from CD to a USB harddrive on a completely different machine using a completely different USB enclosure and harddrive and it also does not boot at all after installing the boot loader to the external USB hard drive. Not sure where to go from here.

Quote Originally Posted by JCDinPGH View Post
    I also tried install the x32 onto a USB harddrive with putting the boot sector on the same USB and it also doesn't boot at all.

So i see alot of people having issues with the new 2.0 honestly im having a few myself....i think its UEFI based pcs to be honest if others can confirm there troubles from using a UEFI system id feel better lol....I just bought a HP spectre 360, for some reason i can only get the i368 dvd to work on an older system which is making me think it has something to do with UEFI, i have duel boot ubuntu and windows running now, wish it was kali and windows but for some reason whether its dvd or usb same deal is going on, it could have something to do with my graphics but i dont even get a splash screen upon boot so i cant nomodeset the boot itself until i get to the splash screen which should be loaded off the DVD i can boot from dvd no problem but it boots to nothing blackness and hangs, no splash screen, if anyone has this going on and has solved no splash even showing up that would be awesome! like i said ubuntu worked fine for me just had to disable secure boot as usual for the newer platforms but kali is fighting me and my HP is totally disagreeing with anything i tell it to do when i put the kali disc in......i did everything the same way i did with ubuntu, i have a usb drive with kali too i tried using win32 and universel usb and unetbootin, my bios just opens the usb instead of booting from it, the program should take the iso and make an img to boot from and run from but when i select it to boot it just opens up and lets me choose files is there one i should add seperatly to start the boot, even from DVD i hang up before the splash screen shows up and my pcs fan starts kickin and stays that way.....any ideas?

Hey all,

So I got it to install finally. Love the product. Ill share what I did, cause it was a combination off things. Ill explain first. My problem was it always wanted to boot from a cd rom, which is actually broken on the pc I am using to run it. Anyway I had an external laying around but for some reason the ****** thing wouldn't boot from it * I ain't to sure why *. Anyway So Here are the steps I took;

1. Made a bootable USB
    2. Also burnt a copy of the ISO files onto a cd * same as it would on a USB *
    3. Boot into USB and follow the prompts until you get to the cd rom part
    4. Attach external drive, "yes" when it asks you if you would like to try and find a cd rom drive again
    5. Finish the install.

I don't know why it didn't boot from the CD drive in the first place, but however this was an alternative solution. Good luck. *Still never figured out why it couldn't just finish the install from the USB even though it booted from it originally*

Good luck.

Hi (first post)
    I'm getting a similar thing. During step 14, I told it to install GRUB into the the same disk that I was installing Kali to. There are 3 other disks on the system, an SSD runing OSX (using chimera as its boot loader (from tonymacx86)), Windows 10 on another SSD, and a Windows formatted 1TB drive.

After reboot chimera isn't showing the drive with Kali. If I choose to boot from the drive Kali was installed to, I just get a flashing _ cursor. No logo, and nothing I've typed on the keyboard is echoed or causes a change. Caps lock and num lock and scroll lock can be toggled so the system hasn't hung as such.

Any advice anyone?

under Kali the drive was seen as sda in one section and disk0 in an other section of the install.

under osx I get message referring to the HDD kali is on saying "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" (I used ext4 (I wonder now if there is file system that OSX can still read)) in OSX the Kali drive is seen as disk3 (disk3s1 for linux)(disk3s5 for linux swap). Clicking initialize in OSX just loads up the graphical Disk Utility, which can see disk3s1 and Linux Swap but there are no operations that can be done on these disks.

Unhappy installation failed

I've failed to install kali 2.0. “Installation failed”...There are two corrupted files in "kali amd64.iso"--"\dists\sana\main\binary-amd64\Packages.gz" and "\dists\sana\main\binary-amd64\Packages". Any solution?

I tried both the AMD and 386 versions on a USB for my Acer Chromebook C720. Even though I had read some folks saying that the AMD-named version doesn't really require an AMD processor, I found that it didn't work with my Chromebook which doesn't surprise me that much. I was able to install the 386 version without issue, but it's only 32 bit. What are my best options to get the best ISO for my processor (Intel Celeron)?

Kali on VM

Hello sirs,

Is possible to install kali on VW workstation? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kalix64; 2015-10-07 at 09:01. Reason: I tried to install it on VM had error in last step of installation

8. It's too heavy, 4GB, I think i'm have the same trouble with install om PC.

I feel like this is a dumb question, but asking is how to learn. I set up the USB properly, but during the install process when it is finding the disks and asks which you want to partition it only finds my USB drive and tries to partition itself and write to itself. I was assuming it's supposed to partition my hard drive on my pc and write to it, but take the information FROM the USB. I supposed it could be dividing it up on the USB before it installs to the hard drive, but honestly I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to know what is actually going on during the install. I aborted because I didn't want to mess something up. If somebody could help me out, I would appreciate it. Thanks a bunch and forgive my ignorance, I am learning. Also, I am wanting to install it FULLY on my pc, not dual boot. I want to get rid of the windows 7 and start over from scratch with a fresh Kali Linux OS. I know it's better to use a VM or dual boot for beginners which is why I also have it on a virtual machine on another laptop which I have been learning to use Kali on, but i would like to keep windows on there for my wife to use.

UPDATE: the laptop had an admin password on the bios so I disconnected the cmos battery and reset it, but still won't detect my hard drive. This was my dad's laptop and he passed away a year ago but my mom gave it to me to see if I could use it. It is more powerful than my current. It is an HP 1 terabyte hard drive, 8gigs of ram, and an I7 processor. I'm wanting to let my wife use my old laptop and turn this one into a linux machine, but I can't get past the install. Thanks to anybody that is able to help me. Do I need to do a format on my drive before installing? could it be that microsoft has something that protects windows from being erased or overwritten which causes it not to be detected? Im at a loss of ideas. Thanks guys.

UPDATE #2: I reformatted my HDD with Gparted and Kali detected it, I did a guided partition (because I'm new to this) which it installed fine, but my space is very low. My /home partition has 900+gigs of space, but my root only has 10gigs with only several hundred MB's of space. I was thinking that I would make a user (asside from the root user) and it would utilize the /home partition. Even while logged in as the new user when I use sudo command and apt-get install "packagenamehere" it still installs on the root portions with not enough space to work with. So i'm making progress, but just running into newbie issues now.
    Last edited by Joshua2; 2015-10-19 at 15:48. Reason: Update: Original problem solved, but now having new problems (operator error probably)

Hello, I am new to this forum

Can you guys please help me out.

I booted kali linux 2.0 to usb with UNIVERSAL USB INSTALLER.

it booted successfully, and the usb is booted in the bios,
    during the installation,

1. GUI install.
    2. selecting preferred language
    3. specifying geographic location
    after the step 3, it goes to DETECTING HARDWARE, AND THAN GIVES ME AN ERROR, ''DETECT AND MOUNT CD-ROM'', i do have cd installed, and its functional,

''YOUR INSTALLATION CD-ROM COULDN'T BE MOUNTED, THIS PROBABLY MEANS THAT THE CD-ROM WASN'T IN THE DRIVE. IF SO YOU CAN INSERT IT AND TRY AGAIN.

RETRY MOUNTING CD-ROM.

how do i fix that?
    im installing from USB.

Joshua2: I'm new at this, as well. I wouldn't fool with messing around with your current installation. I would head to gparted and make the entire hard drive free space. Then, install Kali. During the installation, when presented with a choice whether you want entire disk used (recommended for new users), choose that option. It is also possible that your hard drive was not partitioned correctly, to begin with. I would just start over and make sure that all you have is "free space" when you are finished using gparted. Again, I'm a noob too, so YMMV.

As a noob, myself, I saw that a lot over the past couple of weeks. Somewhere I saw the suggestion to use one of the "mini" Kali distributions. That worked very well. You and I are probably doing something wrong when installing with the full distro. The only downside, is that I had to use an Ethernet hard-wired connection, because you must have an Internet connection in order to use one of the "mini" distros (either 32-bit or 64 bit depending on your hardware). When you are finished installing, then run the following in terminal.

apt-get clean
    apt-get update
    apt-get install kali-linux-full

It will take awhile to get the full Kali tool set downloaded and installed, even with a fast Internet connection. I'm sure I was failing to following some procedure when I tried - repeatedly - to install the full distro. However, I spent more time screwing around with that than just using the mini distro to begin with. Again, I am a noob, so YMMV.

hello to everybody, i have installed windows 7 on c disk and now i want to instal Kali linux on D disk is that possible?

I'm having trouble installing kali to a MacBook Pro. It's dinky but not more than a few years old. I'm going the route of creating a bootable USB drive and installing from that. Here's what I've done so far:

1. I followed the instructions here: http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...ve-usb-install
    That created a drive that would boot on my other laptop, but not the dinky one for some reason. When it booted, it displayed the boot screen that would allow me to install it to the hard drive.

2. I then downloaded this: https://sevenbits.github.io/Mac-Linux-USB-Loader/
    I wiped the drive and reinstalled using the mac boot loader. That worked, but it presented me with a different boot screen. I can boot kali now, but there was no install option.

I'm guessing the tool created a different boot loader and that's the problem? Backtrack used to have an install option once you booted into it, but I can't find it in this version of Kali (2.0).

How do I install Kali to the hard drive after I've booted to it?

Hello,
    My name is Sufyan Shahid.I installed kali linux 2.0 in my 30 gb hard drive using the live usb.I installed it successfully into the hard drive but the problem come when i reached to the sign in screen.When i put my username "root" and password "q1q1q1" it gives me the error "A problem has occured and system can't recover.All extensions has been disabled as a precaution". I used the correct username and password...please help me.
    Thanks in advace
    Any help would be appreciated

Hi, I too have a problem and i can't seems to get around of it. I downloaded the Image and Installed it in my HD, gave a account name and root pw but when the gui comes up and ask for a the login credentials its not recognizing it
    Any help is appreciated
    Thankx

First, I am getting a strange error upon installation to my Dell 32-bit system that already has windows 7.

Upon trying to install, I get the message at the conclusion of several screens of error messages:
    *** Error in Xorg:free() invalid pointer: 0xb7101ce3 ***

In addition, the installation screen I get upon running looks absolutely nothing like the one in the instructions in the article.

Could this be a problem with my monitor settings?

Has anybody else had this issue or something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by todd View Post
    I am having this same problem also installing on a Dell inspiron Mini .. I tested first using the Live usb and everything worked great so i decidded to install.
    i use the full disk and durring "install the system" i get error " Installation step failed adn installation setp failed. You can try to run the failing item again from
    the menu, or skip it and choose somthinhg else. The failing set is : install the system." I have tried this 5 times using the gnome ISO and mini. No luck.
    I would hate to always have to use the usb in live mode all the time.
    Hey Todd, I'm getting the same error, but I'm using a full 320gb HDD, did you find a fix that might be able to help me out?
    Thanks.

Iv finished everything but when i had restarted the computer and opened Kali Linux in the grub boot i was introduced with a login screen with username (i can put anything into this and still pass) then a page for a password but i cant pass this screen. I have gone through the repair tool thingy (sorry) and i entered my password and it allowed me clearance and i had changed the password and it worked but i still cant pass this screen, i have also tried root and toor. Someone please help, all help is greatly appreciated.

Hello.
    I'm experiencing some problems with installation.
    First of all the problem is with downloaded images.
    I'v downloaded x64 images full, lite and mini.

Only the mini one have booted normaly with GUI after installation on HDD, but others have failed to start GUI.

I have a peculiar problem, I have Kali 2016.1 on my Live Usb and i can boot it via my Dell windows 10 Laptop legacy mode.
    I now decided to install kali on an external USB Hd (sata) -
    I chose auto partition - and installed grub on the external HD (I hv done this earlier when I used backtrack 5)
    but when I go into Custom boot on the Laptop (legacy mode) -- It doesnt detect the Kali Install on the USB HD.
    UEFI mode doesnt work either

I tried to make a separate partition for /Boot

but no result,

any work around ???

please reffer the below link
    i dont know what happend my post came twice so i am editing the first post
    Last edited by Gh0sT.sh; 2016-02-26 at 03:17. Reason: same post twice
    ################################################

|
    /vvvvvvvvvvvv \-------------------------------------------------------------------------,,
    |^^^^^^^^ /===================================--""

----------The quieter you become,The more you will able to hear-----------
    Venkatesh L Sharma https://twitter.com/1337in

|
    /vvvvvvvvvvvv \-------------------------------------------------------------------------,,
    |^^^^^^^^ /===================================--""

----------The quieter you become,The more you will able to hear-----------
    Venkatesh L Sharma https://twitter.com/1337in

Install Kali to an external hdd

Quote Originally Posted by Gh0sT.sh View Post
    Hi,
    The documentation is for loading GRUB on the computers main hard drive

What I'm trying to do is load GRUB to the external hdd where Kali is installed.

After selecting grub to be installed on the ext HDD

When I try to boot into Kali (legacy mode , secure boot disabled)

I get a msg saying no OPERATING SYTEM found!

I'm guessing some error due to the BIOS unable to use the GRUB installed on the hard drive

This error I found only on new laptops which bybdefault boot using UEFI

older laptops don't have this issue --

How do I make the install UEFI compliant ?

Hey guys weird issue here. I have verified my ISO hash to the website and they match. I used the Win32 installer to mount the ISO on a 16GB USB. When I go to boot from it, the system completely bypasses the USB and boots from the HDD. Legacy USB is enabled, and the USB was selected as the first to boot in the boot menu. Any thoughts?

Awesome Works Perfect !

I installed Kali onto a Acer Aspire. It required a 32 bit version. Everything ran fine until it asked to login into the host. My system then starts to act unexpectedly. I can begin to type the first letter of my password then my mouse icon bounces around from the center of the screen to the upper left corner over and over again. At this point the keyboard no longer works and neither does the trackpad. Does this sound like a hardware issue or software in everybody else's experience? Any tips?

Same problem as mackubex

Installation Failed

Quote Originally Posted by muts View Post
    Installing Kali Linux on your computer is an easy process. First you’ll need compatible computer hardware. Kali is supported on i386, amd64, and ARM (both armel and armhf) platforms. The hardware requirements are minimal as listed below, though better hardware will naturally provide better performance. [...]
    If you have any issues with this procedure, please post them in this thread.
    Yesterday I was installing Kali Linux on HP1000 with Win10, but for some reason it couldn't be installed so I abandoned the installation process (I'm an idiot I know).

Everytime I turn on my laptop it says "No bootable device --- Insert boot disk", is there any way to go back to Win10 and save my files?
    Last edited by rod_kryp; 2016-03-19 at 20:20.

Windows use EFI systems, Windows can only install on GPT disk, while Linux can only install on MBR partition table . you can not install both OS on the same disk. If you want install Kali-linux
    You have to convert GPT PARTITION to MBR PARTITION. It should have two phisycal disks on your device , call disk0 and disk1 . Disk0 should be installed windows . Disk1 is GPT also, so the partition MUST to be format and delete first and then you can convert to MBR (right click on disk1 menu button ) and go ahead install Kali-linux on that disk.But the problem is you can not boot into windows neither kali-linux . so recovery windows is the last choice ...continuing on my blog, how to re-install Windows here:
    https://devwifi.wordpress.com/2015/1...-7-8-1-and-10/

kali linux graphical install got error help pleas

Hi I was instelling Kalli linux on me laptop whet a bootable usb.
    when I did graphical instal I got a error.

this is the error =

IMG_4702.jpg
    Detect network hardware

Some of your hardware needs non-free firmware files to operate. The firmware can be loaded from removable media, such as a usb stick are: rt2860.bin

if you have such media avaible now, insert it, and continue
    Load missing firmware from removable media?

NO
    YES

what should I do pleas help

Im trying to install with an USB but cant. Downloaded normal iso 64 bits, have pc with 64-bits processor, I low formatted my USB, then used win 32 disk imager i booted and the screen goes all blank doing nothing and not reading USB. Used universal installer but it just reboots the pc. I checked iso's SHA1 and all good.

Im installing with 2 other operational systems. And have UEFi. Boot is not secured for that. Any ideas?

Help pleas [ATTACH=CONFIG]1457

I have this error when i wand install kali on me pc i used a bootable usb. Help pleas need it bequez i dont have anymore interface on me pc so cant work on it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi! Can someone help me, whenever I install kali linux... either install or graphical install, I always stucked at the installing the system, it only reaches until 4%, please help anyone, I am using ASUSX102BA 64 bit, AMD A4, windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMatrix View Post
    Hi! Can someone help me, whenever I install kali linux... either install or graphical install, I always stucked at the installing the system, it only reaches until 4%, please help anyone, I am using ASUSX102BA 64 bit, AMD A4, windows 8.1
    Make full format on USB and make a new bootable USB with Win32Disk Imager.

Btw, i solved my problem above using the linux os installer. the win32disk imager didnt work on my pc neither many windows usb installer tools. But kali linux could be a lot simpler to install as dual boot.

Common - what is the " linux os installer", is it a software? I am on Windows 10 and tried using the Win32DiskImager and other tools but the live boot always gets stuck on boot or install screen.

For the first time I had some problems with installing, some ERRORs, but now it's ok!)
    Always be yourself. Unless you can be a unicorn, then be a unicorn!

Hi all - total noob here.

I'm guessing this would delete Windows, right? All this stuff about partitioning makes it seem like Windows would still be on the system.

If I were dual booting, would there be a way to default to one OS if you're only looking to access the other on occasion?

so i have a very very nice desktop and ive run kali 1.07 on it for a while. it was on its own 4tb hard drive and few issues however now i can not get thru the booting of kali sana....Issues include cd rom drive not found disk drives not found network finder not found grub failure even when i gave it a empty 5gb partion idk *** is going on. Same system i have it on b4. also it says pci.ids not found if i go to hard ware detection instead of install at first boot
    Hardware includes:
    Pioneer CD DVD Bluray Read/Write
    Rampage black edition IV
    56gb ram ddr3
    4tb unallocated HDD by western digital
    no new hardware since i installed 1.07 so idk whats changed...
    ive tried several differnent isos/torrents and usbs, installing and formated on to by different computers, win10 and kali. and formating those usbs using ruphus, windiskimage poweriso and dd from my kalibook(mac which single boots to kali 2.0) also i believe i fixxed bios but havent check cuz i havent adjusted since 1.07 idk whats going on here plz help.

Hi, i tried to install to dual boot, following documentation on support page to use gparted and shrink a partition. Install went through fine, but not grub, went straight to windows.
    I i tried a few things, and nothing worked for me.
    So i used gparted to delete all partitions on drive and start again, this time doing guided partition install on entire disc with lvm.
    same problem. i just get backlit black scree, no post, no grub. i can press shift and it will say grub is loading but then goes to same black screen! i see no instructions anywhere for this because i am only trying single boot, when i search for these issues i always get dual boot fixes. i tried a few but the commands suggest fail at various points.
    please help!

i am having issues installing on my pc i have been working on this for 2 days now and no luck. everytime it gets to about 80% in the installation and says that it failed and i can try again from the menu but i cant get to the menue without restarting. i dont know whats going wrong

Unable to find System-> install Kali in Kali 2.0

Installing Kali Linux on your computer is an easy process. First you’ll need compatible computer hardware. Kali is supported on i386, amd64, and ARM (both armel and armhf) platforms. The hardware requirements are minimal as listed below, though better hardware will naturally provide better performance. The i386 images have a default PAE kernel, so you can run them on systems with over 4GB of RAM. Download Kali Linux and either burn the ISO to DVD, or prepare a USB stick with Kali Linux Live as the installation medium. If you do not have a DVD drive or USB port on your computer, check out the Kali Linux Network Install.

To read the full document, check our Installing Kali Linux to Hard Drive article.

I have kali 2.0 installed as a live CD on a bootable USB drive ,after live booting , am Unable to find System-> install Kali in Kali 2.0 in the menu.
    How to install Kali , after booting into live mode

Dear Sir ,I having kali installation problem .I didnt find solution for that that is why I am posting here.
    Log files are here.
    1.hardware-summary @ http://docdro.id/GiRDYWl
    2.partman @ http://docdro.id/Oz07Xyr
    3.syslog @ http://docdro.id/yR14968
    4.Xorg.0.log @ http://docdro.id/2wib8Ox

Kali Linux 2016.2 (full) installation problem

Installing Kali Linux on your computer is an easy process. First you’ll need compatible computer hardware. Kali is supported on i386, amd64, and ARM (both armel and armhf) platforms. The hardware requirements are minimal as listed below, though better hardware will naturally provide better performance. The i386 images have a default PAE kernel, so you can run them on systems with over 4GB of RAM. Download Kali Linux and either burn the ISO to DVD, or prepare a USB stick with Kali Linux Live as the installation medium. If you do not have a DVD drive or USB port on your computer, check out the Kali Linux Network Install.

To read the full document, check our Installing Kali Linux to Hard Drive article.

The article describes a graphical installation UI, mine is not.
    I have successfully created a Kali Linux 2016.2 (full) USB stick (Kali Linux Live), which, as the boot device, works great. I want to install to my laptop HD (currently FreeDOS) the distro but the installation cannot find the correct CD drivers or recognize the CD. What can be done to get past this problem?

I too can boot into Kali Live via USB but the option to install to HDD via GUI does not load and System >> Install Kali is not available.
    I am on a Macbook Pro Early 2011, created USB with Mac Linux USB Loader, and using the most recent Kali build.
    Will someone please help?

I´m tyring to install Kali to HD (pc amd64 cpu) from USB. The USB work fine and I can use the Live version. No errors in the installation process but when I reboot after installation it fails. I read and followed Kali docs. guid, generated three booteble USB (using mac and the dd command) and always get the same fault (see boot image). Any suggestion?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/118668/IMG_1248.JPG
    Last edited by sertral; 2016-10-03 at 17:11.

Quote Originally Posted by sertral View Post
    I´m tyring to install Kali to HD (pc amd64 cpu) from USB. The USB work fine and I can use the Live version. No errors in the installation process but when I reboot after installation it fails. I read and followed Kali docs. guid, generated three booteble USB (using mac and the dd command) and always get the same fault (see boot image). Any suggestion?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/118668/IMG_1248.JPG
    I am seeing the same exact errors with Kali 2016.2, x64 Lenovo Thinkpad, 4gb RAM, 160gb SSD.

Anyone else? Anyone find a fix yet?

HI All,

First of all, make a bootable DVD or USB to install kali Linux.

Now boot your system with bootable USB and after loading live boot. Click on install Kali then Goes several steps. When disk choose option appears then choose a custom selection. After that select your any drive and format it via ext4 file System and assign as "/" root point. and install kali Linux.

Make sure you have backup your data. many peoples format their window during Linux Installation

For step by step guide, you can follow below link: http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...d-disk-install

Which of the two lines below is the right line for a live build?

apt-get install curl git live-build cdebootstrap
    or
    apt-get install git live-build cdebootstrap