Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to install Kali Linux to Hard Disk

How to install Kali Linux to Hard Disk

Installing Kali Linux on your computer is an easy process. First you’ll need compatible computer hardware. Kali is supported on i386, amd64, and ARM (both armel and armhf) platforms. The hardware requirements are minimal as listed below, though better hardware will naturally provide better performance. The i386 images have a default PAE kernel, so you can run them on systems with over 4GB of RAM. Download Kali Linux and either burn the ISO to DVD, or prepare a USB stick with Kali Linux Live as the installation medium. If you do not have a DVD drive or USB port on your computer, check out the Kali Linux Network Install.

To read the full document, check our Installing Kali Linux to Hard Drive article.

If you have any issues with this procedure, please post them in this thread.

Hi ! My error while loading shows : GTK Warning unable to open display :0 also higher " Check Xorg.log)"
    I'm unable to do anything , error keeps re-spawning

after installing amd 64 in my hp pavilion using a live dvd, total failure trying to log in . kali wont grant me access.. im prompted with" authentication failure" any tips from the pros? everything goes smooth up until I have to log in **fix** reinstall and use kali as host ,root as user, toor as password. after install you can change the host name .. there's a tutorial on youtube with terminal commands as well ..
    Last edited by milehighinterceptor; 2013-04-17 at 16:56.

Code:
    im prompted with" authentication failure" any tips from the pros?
    I am having the same problem. I managed to get Kali installed, but now I am unable to login, it keeps saying "authentication failure" and yes, I have checked my password and username is also correct.

same problem here, been trying for a while now and can't get in..... just installed Kali btw.
    Last edited by r3d; 2013-05-25 at 20:45.

got it now all you have to do is log in: root password: the one you made on the intallation progress

Downloaded kali-linux-1.0.2-i386.torrent and mounted ISO on a virtual drive.

Followed directions on http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...d-disk-install to install Kali on VirtualBox running on Windows 7. When I try to boot in regular mode I get the Kali splash screen and then the error:

Oh no! Something has gone wrong.
    A problem has occurred and the system can't recover. Please contact a system administrator.

I can boot in recovery mode, but I'm unsure what I should try next.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kevin

I have a netbook (EeePC 1000HE) and a Q6600 Desktop. I ave tried installing x86 and x64 versions. I have used both the Mini.iso as well as Gnome/KDE versions of 1.0.1, 1.0.2, etc. I have tried almost every conceivable configuration, including manual partitioning, guided partitioning, both with and without encryption. It seems as though no matter what I do, I always get the same result. "Failed to Install the System". I get all the way through all the partitioning. I have tried graphical installation as well as text.

I have read that there is a bug that Kali doesn't like a separate /home partition, and it will result in this error. But I get the error regardless of my partition scheme.

Does anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong?

I am having this same problem also installing on a Dell inspiron Mini .. I tested first using the Live usb and everything worked great so i decidded to install.
    i use the full disk and durring "install the system" i get error " Installation step failed adn installation setp failed. You can try to run the failing item again from
    the menu, or skip it and choose somthinhg else. The failing set is : install the system." I have tried this 5 times using the gnome ISO and mini. No luck.
    I would hate to always have to use the usb in live mode all the time.

Fixed problem by doubling the HD size to 16 Gb.

downloaded kali-linux-1.0.3-i386.iso
    i get this error
    Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: 0
    it happens during the boot and i can't do anything as it reappears forever in an endless cycle
    can't test the 64bit version as my laptop does not support it

Quote Originally Posted by MrBeans View Post
    Hi ! My error while loading shows : GTK Warning unable to open display :0 also higher " Check Xorg.log)"
    I'm unable to do anything , error keeps re-spawning
    use pendrivelinux to create usb bootable kali
    it's worked for me

Thanks you dude.

I get the error " The attemp to mount a file system with the type ext4 in /dev/sdb1 at / failed. Then it asked if I want to resume partitioning from the partitioning menu. I have Kali downloaded on a dvd and I am trying to install it to a clean external hard drive windows 8. If anyone can help me please let me know. Thank you for all of the help in advance!

hello!
    i've got problem installing kali on my hdd. it give the error - UNABLE TO RUN C:\WINDOWS\SYSNATIVE\BCDEDIT.EXE
    and then the installation aborts everytime!
    plz help!

Hello, I am currently running a dual boot win7/BT5 setup, i loaded kali to usb, but when i boot off it, i only get the option to boot live and not install. do i need to delete the BT5 partitions or something?

Hello Everyone Here What i have made for all of you How to install Kali Linux

I installed Kali on a one of my 3 partitions just fine, booted into windows 8.1 though just fine, but my partition that I shrunk to fit Kali on was no longer visible. I went to disk management and noticed that my partition wasn't "Active"....So what did I do....I activated it, ignoring the warning that I shouldn't activate it unless there is an OS present on that partition. I'm an idiot. That partition only had my data on it, not the windows install....so now I rebooted (for the changes to take effect) and am now in the Grub Rescue mode. I have no clue how to "deactivate" that partition, someone please help so I can use my computer again!

Edit: I can still probably boot from my USB LIVE Kali however I have no clue what to do from there.....
    Visit my blog! PenTesting for Amateurs, by Amateurs -- Request your own tutorial, or send one to me to post.
    "thevanoutside" a Wordpress Blog!

Hi

I am finding it difficult with kali linux to make it a multi arch. Although i succeded, why doesnt kali supply it as multiarch. It cumbersome in a slow speed network in india to download hugefiles. Dont bother about initial size of kali linux. you can sell it as product we will be willing to pay

hi all,i tried to install kali on my pc and when i reached this http://docs.kali.org/wp-content/uplo...artition_0.png
    i want to choose manual option and when i enter there dont know what to do there can someone help me please guys
    (sorry for bad english)

OK, I checked all the threads here looking for my problem - nope not present, so here it is. Trying to install i386 version on an HP Pavillion dv5000 from a DVD, I got it from a friend that has been using Kali for a while now, 20 some odd years using Linux. The problem? during install (after getting needed b43 files) install gets to "scanning disks" on the starting up the partitioner screen --only one HD, toshiba 80 GiG already formated for linux install -- at 50% it freezes. I have tested the drive, swapped to a newer drive (WD 40 GiG) swapped back, installed mint as a test, it is only the Kali install that has the problem.... so .... what am I doing wrong?

Talking parse_partition_table=error.

when I installed my pc kalilinux 1.0.6 I. it's stuck on scanning hardisk or cannot show the partition table. when I check it, it error parse_partition_table=error,,, anybody help me???? I really appreciate that.

Tyagi

Firstly, wit h live 686 pae ,from application /install kali linux I ve got error msg of kernel mismatch and I 've got nothing to fix it.
    But continue the installation process I've an error msgof grub boot loader not installed and then LILO boot loade r not installed
    Now I have complete installation without boot loader what shoud I do.
    I loses my all data, window everything for kali but got nothing.

Hi all,
    I can't get my HP Pavillion laptop to even recognize that there's a USB or CD (I've tried both) with kali loaded at startup. I've searched the this forum and the web, but can't seem to find an answer. I have created bootable USBs with other linux distros (Opensuse, Ubuntu, Mint) and installed them on this HP laptop many times with no problem so I dont think this is a hardware issue. I've also used the same USB writer (the one that comes with mint) for other distros - so shouldn't be a problem there. I've downloaded this file: Kali Linux 1.0.6 64 Bit ISO from: http://www.kali.org/downloads/ many times and burned it to both USB(3 different brands) and CD numerous times. When I turn on my laptop with the USB or CD expecting to get a Kali boot screen or Kali as a grub menu option - no luck, just straight to my current OS - Mint. I have of course disabled secure boot-enabled legacy boot-and put usb at the top of the boot order.
    Any suggestions? I really want to try this out
    Thanks,
    Bob

the same here

Hi,
    I am new to Linux, can someone give me a hand?
    I have a Mac Pro with 3 internal hard disks, on two I have OSX 10.9.3 and on the other one I have installed Kali 10.0.7 after having downloaded it and burned it on a CD as an iso file. I have also installed rEFIt and everything seemed to be in order. Unfortunately when I reboot with rEFIt and I select the hard disk with the penguin icon a window opens saying "no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key", so I get stuck, it's as if the hard disk is empty and it's asking for the installation CD.
    When I restart and reboot on OSX the system tells me that one of my hard disks (where I have installed Linux) is not readable. In fact it has disappeared from the desk top and It's only visible using the utility disk. I have also tried changing the formatting of the hard disk, first with "Mac OS Extended"
    and then with "MS-DOS FAT" but nothing changes. Where am I going wrong? The installation DVD works fine, I tried in "live mode" and it worked, the installation went smoothly, maybe there is something wrong with the formatting of the hard disk?
    Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Tekitomo

Question

hi i am new to the forum

I don't want to make a LIVE usb of kali linux. I want to see that "Install Linux" which appears after burning the ISO on a DVD & booting through it.

I've tried two software - usb live creater and an another. Both give me the Live versions, not the DVD type installation.

I don't have am optical drive on my new laptop & it's the only machine I got so installing on network is too out of reach.

Can anyone guide me?

Quote Originally Posted by blackkalima View Post
    Hi all,
    I can't get my HP Pavillion laptop to even recognize that there's a USB or CD (I've tried both) with kali loaded at startup. I've searched the this forum and the web, but can't seem to find an answer. I have created bootable USBs with other linux distros (Opensuse, Ubuntu, Mint) and installed them on this HP laptop many times with no problem so I dont think this is a hardware issue. I've also used the same USB writer (the one that comes with mint) for other distros - so shouldn't be a problem there. I've downloaded this file: Kali Linux 1.0.6 64 Bit ISO from: http://www.kali.org/downloads/ many times and burned it to both USB(3 different brands) and CD numerous times. When I turn on my laptop with the USB or CD expecting to get a Kali boot screen or Kali as a grub menu option - no luck, just straight to my current OS - Mint. I have of course disabled secure boot-enabled legacy boot-and put usb at the top of the boot order.
    Any suggestions? I really want to try this out
    Thanks,
    Bob
    Yeah Same goes on for me. I also happen to own HP Pavillion and tried installing Kali 1.0.8 on my USB Disk. The output I get is same that of yours, i.e Pendrive does not get detected. The only difference in our scenario is that I have not enabled Legacy Boot since Windows 8 is installed on my notebook

Hi, I have installed the latest version of kali in live usb and it work pretty good. But when I want to install it in the hard drive from the boot menu it failed everytime. So I have tried to install it from the live-usb Application - Install Kali but I have got thies message :

Kernel version mismatch

Live system kernel and installer kernel don't match

The installer can only be used if the kernel version of the live system (3.14-kali1-686-pae) and of the installer (3.14-kali1-486) are the same.

Please reboot with the correct kernel (3.14-kali1-486).

If I continu the installation it failed. I think I have got a kernels trouble because my laptop is too old.I have never used Linux before, this is my first linux distribution so I am completely lost.
    How can I change the kernel of the live-system (3.14-kali1-686-pae) to the correct kernel (3.14-kali1-486) in live usb mode or from windows maybe (But I don't think it is possible) ?
    I also apologize for my english but I am french, nobody is perfect

Ok so here's the problem I am having:

I downloaded the .iso onto a DVD and it boots up fine. The network configuration part of the install, however, isn't working for me. I select my SSID and select WPA and enter the correct password. To make sure I'm using the right password I "forgot" my ssid on my other devices in order to re-enter the password and thus verifying what it is. Even after that it will tell me my passkey in incorrect. I had this issue with 1.0.8 and saw in a couple of forums that it was a bug or something with that version. I was really hoping that with .9 I wouldn't have the same problem. I must be doing something wrong, please help. Thank you.

Hello
    When you install Linux Kali on the hard disk, and you divide the hard and used it, but I have a problem when I enter into the browser entirely depends upon the system, as well as access to the settings Brajkm..uandma What solution do I run it from USB work well

what am I doing wrong?

downloaded the iso file for 64 bit directly and burned the image on a DVD.nothing special,done it before.
    brand new Lenovo laptop with i3 processor an 8GB ram so no problem with the system demand and the BIOS was fixed to start booting from the disk drive.
    why doesn't it boot up?
    any way I downloaded the wrong image?
    tried to get the files from torrent and got 2 files one was Iso and not sure about the other since it was a txt file with an added file ending.
    what is the second file for?

please help

What is going wrong?

Hi there I am having a problem that I just can't solve for days now with installing linux.
    The problem I have tried using multiple media tipes picks all of them up fine(usb,external,dvd ect) and i use that image in a vm that works fine ,but the problem is where I try to native install when I boot into the iso and get the boot menu and select install it gives me and error right after the selection and doesnt allow me to install and hangs ....I have updated my bios ,formated and repartitioned and then run linux first but to no avail and still get the error. I have tried other distro's of linux but get the same error.I attached a picture of the error. I just cant find the cause of the error yet I tried cmos reset ect and just can't get this rubbish error to *** off.
    WOuld be much appreciated if someone can help me out.

Edit:
    Swearing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2015-03-31 at 09:31. Reason: Swearing

hi... all I have downloaded a kali iso i386 but I want to install it on dell inspiron 1545 with core 2 duo processor and 2 gb ram.... but i have read here that it need 4 gb ram...
    please tell me how can i install it... thankyou

I had this issue a while ago before giving up but the issue:

I installed Kali successfully onto a laptop running an SSD. Whenever I rebooted after the install, there was an issue with the... how would I say, backlighting was non-existant. I was barely able to see anything on the screen. I could see that the screen was still there, the text was still there, but there was no light. I also noted that the light was fine while the PC/OS was booting. I figure it had to be a graphics issue (worked fine in a VM on the same device), but even if there is a driver issue, can it be fixed when I can't login to the OS being that there is no light. Only thing I can think is re-install, fix the issue then reboot after install.

I don't know the graphics device off of my head, but it's likely an AMD device.

hello i tried installing kali linux on my hard drive but everything freezes when it goes to "detecting network hardware". the problem goes when i boot live and then install kali but then i cannot install grub and lilo . i already tried disabling integrated NIC from bios but the problem wont go. I also tried from dvd as well as pendrive but the same problem with both 64 and 32 bit versions.
    my device is:
    dell vostro 3450 laptop with
    a10 bios
    500gb hardrive
    4 gb ddr3 ram
    integrated NIC and broadcom wifi device

Manual partitioning during install

Quote Originally Posted by muts View Post
    Installing Kali Linux on your computer is an easy process. First you’ll need compatible computer hardware. Kali is supported on i386, amd64, and ARM (both armel and armhf) platforms. The hardware requirements are minimal as listed below, though better hardware will naturally provide better performance. The i386 images have a default PAE kernel, so you can run them on systems with over 4GB of RAM. Download Kali Linux and either burn the ISO to DVD, or prepare a USB stick with Kali Linux Live as the installation medium. If you do not have a DVD drive or USB port on your computer, check out the Kali Linux Network Install.

To read the full document, check our Installing Kali Linux to Hard Drive article.

If you have any issues with this procedure, please post them in this thread.

I tried to install Kali latest 64 bit release (3.0GB).
    Unfortunately, it does not let me partition the disk as I want it.
    It will clobber other partitions.
    How do I get around Kali wanting to use entire disk???

i want to install kali on vwmare machine but i cant
    http://i57.tinypic.com/k9c8pe.png

Asus z97-pro(wifi ac) and M.2 SSD issue.
    Did anybody manage to install Kali on M.2 SSD disk?
    I am trying whole day and nothing. Only errors.....
    ata1: hard resetting link
    or
    sata link down (sstatus ffffffff scontrol ffffffff)

I have feeling that Kali cant see my M.2 SSD hard disk!
    Any advice.

Maybe someone find this helpful.
    I used Kali over 3 years and have some experience with installing it on system.
    This is "general" steps to install it on laptop (or other computer) with installed Windows XP/7/8/10 on system.

On HP laptops with Windows 7 (wich I used) you have 4 partitions. This is maximum number for partitions in this case.
    MBR,System,Recovery an HP Tolls.
    1.) This step you need only if you have 4 partition on the system.
    First you need to delete one of them (HP tools or Recovery or boot). Same is for other systems with 4 partitions
    You can optional backup it , if you want on external media in a case that you want to recover it.
    2.)Then you need to shrink the largest partition with Windows (system in this case) for
    about 20GB minimum(or how many GB you want to give to Kali)
    3.)Optional. Then merge those free space in one. Maybe you need in this step to create one new
    partition to complete task. If you do this, after complete this step just delete partition and leave it like this.
    This all steps you can perform from Windows itself or with some tool like Minitool partition Wizard or similar tools.
    4.)After that just insert your CD/USB with Kali in computer, reboot press install and install it "on first continuous free space"
    5.)don't forget to install Grub during installation.

That is all you have to do to install Kali Linux on hhd with dual boot with Windows

Hi, today I have installed kali on a partition on my hard disk and there was a problem installing bootloader and I have set the bootable tag as no.
    The installation worked perfectly fine. After installation via bootable usb... I restarted my computer normally. I already had win 7, Linux-mint 17 and Linux-mint 17.2 on my system and were working perfectly fine with the GRUB...

But after installation of kali linux... I am not able to boot to kali linux form the grub since grub is not showing an option to boot to kali linux.(The grub is showing the usual options as it was before kali's installation).

My problem : How would I boot into Kali linux now??

the process for install kali is not so critical. it is very easy process and

only needs proper guidence and some small time. a small mistake can harm your

laptop. you can follow this post. post published in may 2015 so there are less

chances of error and tested on windows platform. please go to

http://moonkinghackersclub.com/how-t...kali-linux-in-

Quote Originally Posted by Jasser View Post
    Hi, today I have installed kali on a partition on my hard disk and there was a problem installing bootloader and I have set the bootable tag as no.
    The installation worked perfectly fine. After installation via bootable usb... I restarted my computer normally. I already had win 7, Linux-mint 17 and Linux-mint 17.2 on my system and were working perfectly fine with the GRUB...

But after installation of kali linux... I am not able to boot to kali linux form the grub since grub is not showing an option to boot to kali linux.(The grub is showing the usual options as it was before kali's installation).

My problem : How would I boot into Kali linux now??
    Just boot into Linux Minit and type update-grub , and after that check grub.cfg in Mint is it kali added to entry

heu guys i just installed kali 2.0 and seems i wasnt able to do it with network mirros and now i want to add them i;ve tried the ones for kali 1.0 and wheni hit apt-get update it says error 404 not found ......do they have special network morrors for kali 2.0
    the ones i used for editing sources file

deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali main non-free contrib
    deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali kali main non-free contrib

Hello all,

First of all, I love this product / software, its truly amazing and a special thanks to all the people that are involved with developing such software.
    Ive done some searching, and I do apologize if it's already been posted, I'm rather tired but persistent to resolve an issue I just can't seem to figure out.

I can run the USB live not a problem for kali 2.0. But a live version is no good to me as I like to have a permanent copy installed to my hard drive. I use a separate computer that runs my kali system. I won't go into specs as it ran the previous version of kali with no problems. The problem is, that laptop has a broken cd drive. So obviously their are ways to put the .ISO files onto a usb.. which I've done already, with rufus software and also UUI software. However when I go to the install, it keeps trying to mount a CD drive that is non existent, I've even tried an external CD drive with a copy of kali on it, but I can't get the **** thing to mount it. I don't understand how the install steps can be different, Am i missing something? or can't this software be put directly onto a hard drive now. Ive literally got no idea. Made multiple copy's, still no go. I am happy to post some images up tomorrow for further examples, but I think it's a case of not getting the extra steps for the install due to a malfunction in it trying to read the CD drive.. even though I've clearly booted it with the USB.. =[

Please help.

Kind regards

I installed Kali 2.0 x64 to an external USB drive by using the install process and when asked where to install the boot loader, I chose the external USB instead of installing the boot loader on the local hard drive. The reason for this, is I would like to be able to take the USB hard drive to other computers and boot off of the USB so it can be completely mobile. This worked fine in the v1.x but with v2, when rebooting and choosing the external USB hard drive to boot from, the boot just completely hangs. I never get the grub menu. I will try the same install but with the x32 version just in case but just wondered if anyone had any ideas? The idea here is to make a completely portable Kali 2.0 since all I need to do is to carry around a small hard drive. I understand I can do the same with a thumb drive, but I think performance will be faster than the thumb drives I have on hand right now.

I also tried install the x32 onto a USB harddrive with putting the boot sector on the same USB and it also doesn't boot at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JCDinPGH View Post
    I installed Kali 2.0 x64 to an external USB drive by using the install process and when asked where to install the boot loader, I chose the external USB instead of installing the boot loader on the local hard drive. The reason for this, is I would like to be able to take the USB hard drive to other computers and boot off of the USB so it can be completely mobile. This worked fine in the v1.x but with v2, when rebooting and choosing the external USB hard drive to boot from, the boot just completely hangs. I never get the grub menu. I will try the same install but with the x32 version just in case but just wondered if anyone had any ideas? The idea here is to make a completely portable Kali 2.0 since all I need to do is to carry around a small hard drive. I understand I can do the same with a thumb drive, but I think performance will be faster than the thumb drives I have on hand right now.

Anyone know any commands on how to change it from looking for a cd rom drive to continue loading from the usb for the installer? I've got no idea how to fix this issue. Starting to think its a bug. The old installer didn't give me this much grief as it kept loading from the usb the whole way through. Guess its back to the old kali, . So disappointed atm.

Is their a way to boot into live, then do a hard drive install from their? Literally the last thing i can think off.

cheers anyway.
    Last edited by sickn3ss; 2015-08-13 at 07:09.

I have created a bootable usb twice now from two different iso's and both have failed, No CD rom detected. could not get passed that, so I decided to whip open my actual kali computer and do a dist upgrade, getting 403's and 404s
    though maybe its my firewall, and have tried off a different network, same issue. the new repos i added to the sources are not getting though.
    any ideas?