Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to install Kali Linux to Hard Disk

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How to install Kali Linux to Hard Disk

Installing Kali Linux on your computer is an easy process. First you’ll need compatible computer hardware. Kali is supported on i386, amd64, and ARM (both armel and armhf) platforms. The hardware requirements are minimal as listed below, though better hardware will naturally provide better performance. The i386 images have a default PAE kernel, so you can run them on systems with over 4GB of RAM. Download Kali Linux and either burn the ISO to DVD, or prepare a USB stick with Kali Linux Live as the installation medium. If you do not have a DVD drive or USB port on your computer, check out the Kali Linux Network Install.

To read the full document, check our Installing Kali Linux to Hard Drive article.

If you have any issues with this procedure, please post them in this thread.

Hi ! My error while loading shows : GTK Warning unable to open display :0 also higher " Check Xorg.log)"
    I'm unable to do anything , error keeps re-spawning

after installing amd 64 in my hp pavilion using a live dvd, total failure trying to log in . kali wont grant me access.. im prompted with" authentication failure" any tips from the pros? everything goes smooth up until I have to log in **fix** reinstall and use kali as host ,root as user, toor as password. after install you can change the host name .. there's a tutorial on youtube with terminal commands as well ..
    Last edited by milehighinterceptor; 2013-04-17 at 16:56.

Code:
    im prompted with" authentication failure" any tips from the pros?
    I am having the same problem. I managed to get Kali installed, but now I am unable to login, it keeps saying "authentication failure" and yes, I have checked my password and username is also correct.

the same here

Quote Originally Posted by XxsithlordxX View Post
    Code:
    im prompted with" authentication failure" any tips from the pros?
    I am having the same problem. I managed to get Kali installed, but now I am unable to login, it keeps saying "authentication failure" and yes, I have checked my password and username is also correct.
    login as root, delete the user you created, then create it again. That's what I did and it worked.

Root User

Are you using the root user? try to log in as "root" as user name and "toor" as password.

Authentication

Quote Originally Posted by milehighinterceptor View Post
    after installing amd 64 in my hp pavilion using a live dvd, total failure trying to log in . kali wont grant me access.. im prompted with" authentication failure" any tips from the pros? everything goes smooth up until I have to log in **fix** reinstall and use kali as host ,root as user, toor as password. after install you can change the host name .. there's a tutorial on youtube with terminal commands as well ..
    I'm having the same issue except I used a bootable USB and now the USB is now unusable

Quote Originally Posted by MrBeans View Post
    Hi ! My error while loading shows : GTK Warning unable to open display :0 also higher " Check Xorg.log)"
    I'm unable to do anything , error keeps re-spawning
    use pendrivelinux to create usb bootable kali
    it's worked for me

same problem here, been trying for a while now and can't get in..... just installed Kali btw.
    Last edited by r3d; 2013-05-25 at 20:45.

got it now all you have to do is log in: root password: the one you made on the intallation progress

Downloaded kali-linux-1.0.2-i386.torrent and mounted ISO on a virtual drive.

Followed directions on http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...d-disk-install to install Kali on VirtualBox running on Windows 7. When I try to boot in regular mode I get the Kali splash screen and then the error:

Oh no! Something has gone wrong.
    A problem has occurred and the system can't recover. Please contact a system administrator.

I can boot in recovery mode, but I'm unsure what I should try next.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Fixed problem by doubling the HD size to 16 Gb.

hi all,i tried to install kali on my pc and when i reached this http://docs.kali.org/wp-content/uplo...artition_0.png
    i want to choose manual option and when i enter there dont know what to do there can someone help me please guys
    (sorry for bad english)

what am I doing wrong?

downloaded the iso file for 64 bit directly and burned the image on a DVD.nothing special,done it before.
    brand new Lenovo laptop with i3 processor an 8GB ram so no problem with the system demand and the BIOS was fixed to start booting from the disk drive.
    why doesn't it boot up?
    any way I downloaded the wrong image?
    tried to get the files from torrent and got 2 files one was Iso and not sure about the other since it was a txt file with an added file ending.
    what is the second file for?

please help

What is going wrong?

Hi there I am having a problem that I just can't solve for days now with installing linux.
    The problem I have tried using multiple media tipes picks all of them up fine(usb,external,dvd ect) and i use that image in a vm that works fine ,but the problem is where I try to native install when I boot into the iso and get the boot menu and select install it gives me and error right after the selection and doesnt allow me to install and hangs ....I have updated my bios ,formated and repartitioned and then run linux first but to no avail and still get the error. I have tried other distro's of linux but get the same error.I attached a picture of the error. I just cant find the cause of the error yet I tried cmos reset ect and just can't get this rubbish error to *** off.
    WOuld be much appreciated if someone can help me out.

Edit:
    Swearing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2015-03-31 at 09:31. Reason: Swearing

hi... all I have downloaded a kali iso i386 but I want to install it on dell inspiron 1545 with core 2 duo processor and 2 gb ram.... but i have read here that it need 4 gb ram...
    please tell me how can i install it... thankyou

Kali on VM

Hello sirs,

Is possible to install kali on VW workstation? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kalix64; 2015-10-07 at 09:01. Reason: I tried to install it on VM had error in last step of installation

I'm having trouble installing kali to a MacBook Pro. It's dinky but not more than a few years old. I'm going the route of creating a bootable USB drive and installing from that. Here's what I've done so far:

1. I followed the instructions here: http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...ve-usb-install
    That created a drive that would boot on my other laptop, but not the dinky one for some reason. When it booted, it displayed the boot screen that would allow me to install it to the hard drive.

2. I then downloaded this: https://sevenbits.github.io/Mac-Linux-USB-Loader/
    I wiped the drive and reinstalled using the mac boot loader. That worked, but it presented me with a different boot screen. I can boot kali now, but there was no install option.

I'm guessing the tool created a different boot loader and that's the problem? Backtrack used to have an install option once you booted into it, but I can't find it in this version of Kali (2.0).

How do I install Kali to the hard drive after I've booted to it?

Iv finished everything but when i had restarted the computer and opened Kali Linux in the grub boot i was introduced with a login screen with username (i can put anything into this and still pass) then a page for a password but i cant pass this screen. I have gone through the repair tool thingy (sorry) and i entered my password and it allowed me clearance and i had changed the password and it worked but i still cant pass this screen, i have also tried root and toor. Someone please help, all help is greatly appreciated.

I installed Kali onto a Acer Aspire. It required a 32 bit version. Everything ran fine until it asked to login into the host. My system then starts to act unexpectedly. I can begin to type the first letter of my password then my mouse icon bounces around from the center of the screen to the upper left corner over and over again. At this point the keyboard no longer works and neither does the trackpad. Does this sound like a hardware issue or software in everybody else's experience? Any tips?

so i have a very very nice desktop and ive run kali 1.07 on it for a while. it was on its own 4tb hard drive and few issues however now i can not get thru the booting of kali sana....Issues include cd rom drive not found disk drives not found network finder not found grub failure even when i gave it a empty 5gb partion idk *** is going on. Same system i have it on b4. also it says pci.ids not found if i go to hard ware detection instead of install at first boot
    Hardware includes:
    Pioneer CD DVD Bluray Read/Write
    Rampage black edition IV
    56gb ram ddr3
    4tb unallocated HDD by western digital
    no new hardware since i installed 1.07 so idk whats changed...
    ive tried several differnent isos/torrents and usbs, installing and formated on to by different computers, win10 and kali. and formating those usbs using ruphus, windiskimage poweriso and dd from my kalibook(mac which single boots to kali 2.0) also i believe i fixxed bios but havent check cuz i havent adjusted since 1.07 idk whats going on here plz help.

Hi.

I am trying to install 2016.2 64 bit version on HP 6730b (intel core 2 duo CPU) 4 GB RAM, plenty of HDD space on C. The first screen appears well, then when I choose "Graphical install", the same screen but without Boot menu appears and it stays like this for ages.

Should I wait because my PC is old and weak or I have to choose another option to install it?

Quote Originally Posted by kalinfirst View Post
    Hi.

I am trying to install 2016.2 64 bit version on HP 6730b (intel core 2 duo CPU) 4 GB RAM, plenty of HDD space on C. The first screen appears well, then when I choose "Graphical install", the same screen but without Boot menu appears and it stays like this for ages.

Should I wait because my PC is old and weak or I have to choose another option to install it?
    To be honest, it is best to do the normal install without GUI. Try that. If it doesn't work, then wait. But if GUI doesn't work, always revert to CLI.

hey guys i am trying to install kali linux and make my laptop dual booted with windows10, but i keep on getting this error while installation saying that missing firmware files : : rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw rt3290.bin. i have checked even the sha1 of the iso file i downloaded and it is correct. Please help me

Quote Originally Posted by nishigrandhi View Post
    hey guys i am trying to install kali linux and make my laptop dual booted with windows10, but i keep on getting this error while installation saying that missing firmware files : : rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw rt3290.bin. i have checked even the sha1 of the iso file i downloaded and it is correct. Please help me
    That's not an error. That is a missing driver of your ethernet. Installer is simply asking you to provide this driver from USB otherwise you will have to copy thisdriver in /lib/firmware after the installation.

Hello,
    I followed the installation process from the kali linux docs but I've run into a problem: when I try to do the partition of the hard drive an error appears saying: "Partition(s) 2 on dev/sda have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they are in use. As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in use. You should reboot before making any further changes".
    There are to options: ignore or cancel

What should I do?
    Thanks

I am trying to install kali linux. I downloaded the iso file and used win32 disk imager to write it to a usb stick. I put it in the computer and followed the graphical install steps. However at the end it says to reboot to load the system. When I do it goes onto a screen which says /dev/sda1 clean 337450/9715712 files, 2930973/38843136 blocks. It then will not do anything more. I have tried this with two hard drives. What is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by brunolzo View Post
    Hello,
    I followed the installation process from the kali linux docs but I've run into a problem: when I try to do the partition of the hard drive an error appears saying: "Partition(s) 2 on dev/sda have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they are in use. As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in use. You should reboot before making any further changes".
    There are to options: ignore or cancel

What should I do?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by louiepi View Post
    I am trying to install kali linux. I downloaded the iso file and used win32 disk imager to write it to a usb stick. I put it in the computer and followed the graphical install steps. However at the end it says to reboot to load the system. When I do it goes onto a screen which says /dev/sda1 clean 337450/9715712 files, 2930973/38843136 blocks. It then will not do anything more. I have tried this with two hard drives. What is wrong.
    Hello,

I have been installing Kali multiple times, on multiple laptops of mine, with different hard drives. I have used one and the same method each time and it always worked for me.
    - downloaded desired version of Kali
    - insert empty DVD in the laptop
    - open Roxio Creator 2012 Pro and burn disc image (for additional information if needed please ask)
    - after Roxio finishes and DVD is done I open Mini Tool Partition Wizard Server Edition
    - I create a partition with the desired space I need (in my case I always do 100GB because I like to play around and try stuff, plus it never hurts to have more)
    - after creating it, I leave it blank and empty. no additional partitioning
    - turn off laptop
    - turn laptop back on >> insert DVD >> choose to boot from CD/DVD >> follow instructions for installation
    - Kali finds the free space (the partition I have created earlier) and I choose that same partition
    - Kali asks if I want to partition the free space or to leave it up to Kali to do so >> always was choosing Kali to do it and it worked every time
    - then I just wait for installation and everything works

Encountered issues:

ISSUE: When rebooting and trying to start from the CD/DVD it doesn't work and just starts the operating system.
    SOLUTION: Make sure when you are burning the ISO to the CD/DVD that the speed is the slowest.

ISSUE: During Kali installation, having different types of partition issues.
    SOLUTION 1: Went back to Windows >> open Mini Tool Partition Wizard Server Edition >> wipe the created partition >> restart process >> success
    SOLUTION 2: Solution 1 doesn't work >> start windows >> open Mini Tool Partition >> delete partition >> restart laptop >> open Mini Tool Partition >> create partition with desired GB >> restart process from beginning >> success

ISSUE: After Kali install none OS is starting
    SOLUTION: Hiren's Boot CD or UBCD(Ultimate Boot CD)

Hope I managed to help.

I have a netbook (EeePC 1000HE) and a Q6600 Desktop. I ave tried installing x86 and x64 versions. I have used both the Mini.iso as well as Gnome/KDE versions of 1.0.1, 1.0.2, etc. I have tried almost every conceivable configuration, including manual partitioning, guided partitioning, both with and without encryption. It seems as though no matter what I do, I always get the same result. "Failed to Install the System". I get all the way through all the partitioning. I have tried graphical installation as well as text.

I have read that there is a bug that Kali doesn't like a separate /home partition, and it will result in this error. But I get the error regardless of my partition scheme.

Does anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong?

I am having this same problem also installing on a Dell inspiron Mini .. I tested first using the Live usb and everything worked great so i decidded to install.
    i use the full disk and durring "install the system" i get error " Installation step failed adn installation setp failed. You can try to run the failing item again from
    the menu, or skip it and choose somthinhg else. The failing set is : install the system." I have tried this 5 times using the gnome ISO and mini. No luck.
    I would hate to always have to use the usb in live mode all the time.

downloaded kali-linux-1.0.3-i386.iso
    i get this error
    Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: 0
    it happens during the boot and i can't do anything as it reappears forever in an endless cycle
    can't test the 64bit version as my laptop does not support it

Quote Originally Posted by todd View Post
    I am having this same problem also installing on a Dell inspiron Mini .. I tested first using the Live usb and everything worked great so i decidded to install.
    i use the full disk and durring "install the system" i get error " Installation step failed adn installation setp failed. You can try to run the failing item again from
    the menu, or skip it and choose somthinhg else. The failing set is : install the system." I have tried this 5 times using the gnome ISO and mini. No luck.
    I would hate to always have to use the usb in live mode all the time.
    Hey Todd, I'm getting the same error, but I'm using a full 320gb HDD, did you find a fix that might be able to help me out?
    Thanks.

Thanks you dude.

I get the error " The attemp to mount a file system with the type ext4 in /dev/sdb1 at / failed. Then it asked if I want to resume partitioning from the partitioning menu. I have Kali downloaded on a dvd and I am trying to install it to a clean external hard drive windows 8. If anyone can help me please let me know. Thank you for all of the help in advance!

hello!
    i've got problem installing kali on my hdd. it give the error - UNABLE TO RUN C:\WINDOWS\SYSNATIVE\BCDEDIT.EXE
    and then the installation aborts everytime!
    plz help!

Hello, I am currently running a dual boot win7/BT5 setup, i loaded kali to usb, but when i boot off it, i only get the option to boot live and not install. do i need to delete the BT5 partitions or something?

I was also facing the same problem but I used win32 disk imager to create the bootable drive and it worked, you can try that

Hello Everyone Here What i have made for all of you How to install Kali Linux

[QUOTE=Mrquiety;28650]Hello Everyone Here What i have made for all of you How to install Kali Linux[/
    Thanks to you, i also want to install.

I installed Kali on a one of my 3 partitions just fine, booted into windows 8.1 though just fine, but my partition that I shrunk to fit Kali on was no longer visible. I went to disk management and noticed that my partition wasn't "Active"....So what did I do....I activated it, ignoring the warning that I shouldn't activate it unless there is an OS present on that partition. I'm an idiot. That partition only had my data on it, not the windows install....so now I rebooted (for the changes to take effect) and am now in the Grub Rescue mode. I have no clue how to "deactivate" that partition, someone please help so I can use my computer again!

Edit: I can still probably boot from my USB LIVE Kali however I have no clue what to do from there.....
    Visit my blog! PenTesting for Amateurs, by Amateurs -- Request your own tutorial, or send one to me to post.
    "thevanoutside" a Wordpress Blog!

Hi

I am finding it difficult with kali linux to make it a multi arch. Although i succeded, why doesnt kali supply it as multiarch. It cumbersome in a slow speed network in india to download hugefiles. Dont bother about initial size of kali linux. you can sell it as product we will be willing to pay

OK, I checked all the threads here looking for my problem - nope not present, so here it is. Trying to install i386 version on an HP Pavillion dv5000 from a DVD, I got it from a friend that has been using Kali for a while now, 20 some odd years using Linux. The problem? during install (after getting needed b43 files) install gets to "scanning disks" on the starting up the partitioner screen --only one HD, toshiba 80 GiG already formated for linux install -- at 50% it freezes. I have tested the drive, swapped to a newer drive (WD 40 GiG) swapped back, installed mint as a test, it is only the Kali install that has the problem.... so .... what am I doing wrong?

Talking parse_partition_table=error.

when I installed my pc kalilinux 1.0.6 I. it's stuck on scanning hardisk or cannot show the partition table. when I check it, it error parse_partition_table=error,,, anybody help me???? I really appreciate that.

Tyagi

Firstly, wit h live 686 pae ,from application /install kali linux I ve got error msg of kernel mismatch and I 've got nothing to fix it.
    But continue the installation process I've an error msgof grub boot loader not installed and then LILO boot loade r not installed
    Now I have complete installation without boot loader what shoud I do.
    I loses my all data, window everything for kali but got nothing.

Hi all,
    I can't get my HP Pavillion laptop to even recognize that there's a USB or CD (I've tried both) with kali loaded at startup. I've searched the this forum and the web, but can't seem to find an answer. I have created bootable USBs with other linux distros (Opensuse, Ubuntu, Mint) and installed them on this HP laptop many times with no problem so I dont think this is a hardware issue. I've also used the same USB writer (the one that comes with mint) for other distros - so shouldn't be a problem there. I've downloaded this file: Kali Linux 1.0.6 64 Bit ISO from: http://www.kali.org/downloads/ many times and burned it to both USB(3 different brands) and CD numerous times. When I turn on my laptop with the USB or CD expecting to get a Kali boot screen or Kali as a grub menu option - no luck, just straight to my current OS - Mint. I have of course disabled secure boot-enabled legacy boot-and put usb at the top of the boot order.
    Any suggestions? I really want to try this out
    Thanks,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by blackkalima View Post
    Hi all,
    I can't get my HP Pavillion laptop to even recognize that there's a USB or CD (I've tried both) with kali loaded at startup. I've searched the this forum and the web, but can't seem to find an answer. I have created bootable USBs with other linux distros (Opensuse, Ubuntu, Mint) and installed them on this HP laptop many times with no problem so I dont think this is a hardware issue. I've also used the same USB writer (the one that comes with mint) for other distros - so shouldn't be a problem there. I've downloaded this file: Kali Linux 1.0.6 64 Bit ISO from: http://www.kali.org/downloads/ many times and burned it to both USB(3 different brands) and CD numerous times. When I turn on my laptop with the USB or CD expecting to get a Kali boot screen or Kali as a grub menu option - no luck, just straight to my current OS - Mint. I have of course disabled secure boot-enabled legacy boot-and put usb at the top of the boot order.
    Any suggestions? I really want to try this out
    Thanks,
    Bob
    Yeah Same goes on for me. I also happen to own HP Pavillion and tried installing Kali 1.0.8 on my USB Disk. The output I get is same that of yours, i.e Pendrive does not get detected. The only difference in our scenario is that I have not enabled Legacy Boot since Windows 8 is installed on my notebook

Hi,
    I am new to Linux, can someone give me a hand?
    I have a Mac Pro with 3 internal hard disks, on two I have OSX 10.9.3 and on the other one I have installed Kali 10.0.7 after having downloaded it and burned it on a CD as an iso file. I have also installed rEFIt and everything seemed to be in order. Unfortunately when I reboot with rEFIt and I select the hard disk with the penguin icon a window opens saying "no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key", so I get stuck, it's as if the hard disk is empty and it's asking for the installation CD.
    When I restart and reboot on OSX the system tells me that one of my hard disks (where I have installed Linux) is not readable. In fact it has disappeared from the desk top and It's only visible using the utility disk. I have also tried changing the formatting of the hard disk, first with "Mac OS Extended"
    and then with "MS-DOS FAT" but nothing changes. Where am I going wrong? The installation DVD works fine, I tried in "live mode" and it worked, the installation went smoothly, maybe there is something wrong with the formatting of the hard disk?
    Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Tekitomo

Question

hi i am new to the forum

I don't want to make a LIVE usb of kali linux. I want to see that "Install Linux" which appears after burning the ISO on a DVD & booting through it.

I've tried two software - usb live creater and an another. Both give me the Live versions, not the DVD type installation.

I don't have am optical drive on my new laptop & it's the only machine I got so installing on network is too out of reach.

Can anyone guide me?